All my feed stores are turning into kitschy pet food stores...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by LFRJ, Aug 17, 2014.

1. LFRJ

LFRJ Well-Known Member Supporter

...I guess.

I called our local TSC (used to be Dels farm supply) only to be informed that they're no longer carrying milk filters. I called Monroe Farm & Feed - they too are no longer carrying milk filters. Called Snohomish Farm and Feed Co-op - they aren't stocking any, anymore either. :shrug: Sheesh!

I wasn't looking for anything so strange as an oxen yoke, though I imagine in its day, it was once a common farm supply also. Guess I better find my Hoeggers/Jeffers catalog.

jennigrey, hurryiml8 and CraterCove like this.
  2. Goats Galore

Goats Galore Well-Known Member

You're sooo right. I ordered my filters and got a good, but pricey, supply. Now the catalog stores are charging a processing fee to pack and ship; then, of course, postage is expensive. For a recent order, after paying for ice packs and thermal container, the "extras" were much more than the meds. Homesteading is indeed getting more and more expensive.

3. marusempai

marusempai Well-Known Member

Ugh I thought it was just around here, since hardly anybody is running dairy animals... but seriously NOBODY carries dairy supplies. At all. Basically if you're running anything other than horses or pet sheep (ie, they don't need anything special) you're up a creek.

4. Dixie Bee Acres

Dixie Bee Acres Well-Known Member Supporter

Unfortunately, that's the way it goes with retail. We, as consumers, don't always like it, but the retail store has to do whatever they can to stay as profitable as possible. If it means discontinuing an item they might sell 20 of a year, chances are they do that to free up shelf space for an item they might sell 2,000 of a year.
    Like I said, to some of us, it stinks. Case and point, at one time, a Harley-Davidson dealership was a place you could walk into wearing oil stained jeans to buy a part for a bike and talk bikes with other guys wearing oil stained jeans.
    Look at them now, they are glossy, spotless, shiny botique shoppes that just so happen to sell a motorcycle here and there.

BethW, DamnearaFarm and Muleman like this.
  5. where I want to

where I want to Well-Known Member

There is more profit in pet's attachment to their owner's heart strings than in the farmer's bottomline. My large animal vet is vocal about the difference in income between him and the small animal vets. Not that he is cheap.

DamnearaFarm and Dixie Bee Acres like this.
  6. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Both of my feed stores have to special order what I need. OR.... I buy from Jeffers. I gave up on Hoegger. :(

vancom likes this.
  7. Goat Servant

Goat Servant Well-Known Member Supporter

Call Dayville, they've always had em.

8. LFRJ

LFRJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I did Nancy. Left a msg for BOb, informing him he was the only game in town and begging him not to discontinue. I trust he'll hold out and remain a genuine farm feedstore for a while, but it's a long drive.

jennigrey likes this.
  9. Squeaky McMurdo

Squeaky McMurdo A teeny bit goat crazy

I think you figured it out...they're horse stores now

10. o&itw

o&itw aka avdpas77 Supporter

My daughter worked in a (primarily small animal) vet clinc and said the vet spent more time trying to get paid by customes than she did doing vet work. She finally got fed up, sold the place, and only works on horses now.

We had a great local feedstore over in Westphalia. The guy finally sold out and retired. It was purchased by a feed company out of Versailles; the prices have doubled and the quality of the feed gone way down, at least for rabbit pellets.

11. CAjerseychick

CAjerseychick Well-Known Member

Just sad that our teeny little one where the owner (in her 80s) ran goats and helped out with 4H-ers and their goats for years and years- she was such a good source of knowledge.... finally went outa business over the summer, couldnt really compete with the TSC and the other ones...

12. Doug Hodges

Doug Hodges Well-Known Member

DamnearaFarm and CAjerseychick like this.
  13. GoslingFever

GoslingFever Goslings say Weh-Wey-Weh!

We have the same problem getting ahold of dairy supplies here. We order ours from our beloved Fleet Farm (the store we Had to Leave Behind when we moved).
    Under $5 here:
    http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/milkhouse-brand-milk-filter-disk-6-1-2-in-/0000000001455

They are such a great store. We even contacted them asking if they'd consider opening one in our state. They answered back saying they appreciate our support, but there wasn't enough demand :( Dairys are going the way of those oxen yokes you mentioned, sadly.

14. Doug Hodges

Doug Hodges Well-Known Member