All Mulch Container Gardening?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by momanto, May 1, 2006.

1. momanto

momanto SW FLORIDA HAPPYLAND

THE BIG HEAVY PLASTIC POTS, 18" DEEP X 26" diamter THAT HARD MOLASSES FOR CATTLE COMES IN MAKES GREAT CONTAINER GARDENING. A YEAR AGO THE TREE TRIMMER CREWS BETWEEN HURRICANES LEFT ME 5 TRUCK LOADS OF MULCH. I GAVE AWAY TWO TRUCK LOADS. I HAVE DECIDED TO USE THIS AGED MULCH AS A GROWING MEDIUM IN MY POTS. HAS ANYONE DONE THIS? DO I NEED TO ADD SOME DIRT....HOW ABOUT FERTILIZER..... LIQUID FERTILIZER??

FOR THE POTS, I USUALLLY USE PLAIN DIRT AND MIRACLE GRO OR PETERS PROFESSIONAL LIQUID FERTILIZERS. HAVE GREAT SUCCESS. ANY OLD KIND OF DIRT WILL DO. HOWEVER, SOMEONE GAVE ME A BAG OF MIRACLE GRO BRAND DIRT AND IT DOES OUTPERFORM THE REST.

SINCE I HAVE THE GREAT QUANTITY OF MULCH I THOUGHT IT MIGHT WORK FOR CONTAINERS. I HAVE HEARD OF STRAW-BALE GARDENS AND THIS IS SIMILAR.

THANKS FOR ANY TIPS,
    MOM

2. farmerlogan

farmerlogan Well-Known Member

I was just watching Cisco the other day (local garden guru) and he was talking about how wonderful the tree chips were & how it is such great mulch and best of all FREE. Don't know about using just the chips alone though. I would think you could mix it 1/2 & 1/2 with dirt. You need something that will hold the water well & I just don't think that the wood chips would do that so well ;).

3. Lynne

Lynne Well-Known Member

Depending on the plant and the root ball it will create, I usually just use the mulch as a filler in the bottom of the pot add good soil, plants, more soil then a layer of mulch on top. This way you save on buying - using the good soil. Straight mulch does not retain water enough for the plants in my experience.