all gone?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by ceresone, Mar 24, 2006.

1. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

Guess this means we've lost all our previous posts?
    i'm starting a BIG compost pile, i understand anything will compost if pile is hot? hackers, anyone?
    really, this is such a good site-i hate to see it ruined

2. momofmany

momofmany Dayenu farms

colo-Dado! As my enthusiatic 4 yo calls it.
    I was thinking none of the threads looked familiar since I come here about 10 times a day :)
    What a shame!

3. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Certainly looks that way. When I didn't find any seed requests in my e-mail this morning, figured that it would be another of those days when I deliver the previous day's requests to the PO and come home later to a half dozen requests! Instead, I get a notification of a reply to "What is your favorite rabbit food?" from the Raising Rabbits forum. Since I can't recall posting on that forum since it started, smelled something wrong. Now just went to HT and indeed my seed offer is gone as well as every other bit of information that everyone worked so hard to compile. Thought that it might be still intact in our member pages but all recent stuff gone from there as well. Oh well, could have been worse, I suppose.

Martin

4. bretthunting

bretthunting Well-Known Member

HEY paquebot!!!!
    here is some good news,you told me to give the tomatoes a couple more day?
    well i got home last night and had 10 more sprouted!!

5. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Brett, that's great news! It just means that something was wrong somewhere to create a hiccup. Especially since your friend had good germination much earlier. I got a glimpse of my first tomato seedling this morning and this is the 15th day. However, that was in the cold frame which may go from 90F during a sunny day to 40F on a cold night. I expect them to be slow to appear under those conditions.

Another factor in slow germination, although probably not the case here, is age of the seeds. If properly stored, 5 years is still considered as close to 100%. In fact, normal industry procedures are to plant enough of a single variety to supply demand for 5 years. Between 5 and 10 years is when germination drops below the 85% federal guidelines. The oldest that I had to germinate was Tigerella which I purchased in Germany in 1990. Still had great germination in 2003. They took their sweet time emerging but quickly made up for lost time.

Martin

6. countryboy01974

countryboy01974 Well-Known Member

well it really stinks that it is all gone. makes you mad it is like burnning books or a libary a lot of the info that is not common knowledge may be lost for good . from what i read meandean done a heck of a job saving whats left .thanks
    Paquebot thanks for the help with the cabbage.