All Boys!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Meg Z, May 31, 2005.

1. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Both of my first fresheners went a bit early...Blackberry on Thursday, and Rosie on Saturday. Both had trouble. Blackberry's second had her big ole head...not too bad. Both of Rosie's had a leg back. With help from limhyl, we got them both delivered safely.

All four are boys! Blackberry's boys are huge, especially the second. They certainly aren't breeding stock, but they're all good-looking well marked beasties. Although they are named Barbeque 1, 2, 3, and 4, I think I'll post them up for pack wether potential first. They are Nubian/Boar crosses, so should be good strong fellows. Thoughts on that? I figured I'd give it a shot. If not, we'll eat them, and turn those pretty pelts into something.

I did think I was going to have to bottle feed Blackberry's twins. She wouldn't allow them to nurse for the first couple days. I leashed her and held her for them several times a day. She quit fighting and kicking after the first day. The second day, she'd stand once the leash was on. She then watched Rosie deliver and be a proper mom, and it was like the light bulb went on! She is fine with them now. And all parties are out of pens and back on pasture now.

So, the girls are learning what that milking stand was really for. Rosie jumps right up for her feed as usual, then fights and kicks the whole time. :rolleyes: It's not too bad, though, if I hold her leg in the air and milk one-handed. Both her kids were nursing out of the same side, and it took me a day to realize, so she was a bit tender on the engorged side. I did catch it before any damage was done to the udder, thankfully. And it's looking even again after milking this morning.
    Blackberry now hates to get up on the stand. She didn't much care for it before, now she really doesn't want to! It's really just practice for her, as her kids are taking everything she's got. She's jsut never liked being touched much, and this handling of the udder she finds quite dreadful! Once she's up, though, she stops kicking if I just grab her leg, and she relaxes.
    Two very different girls!

Thanks for listening to me babble!
    Meg

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Is the sire the boer goat? If so I believe they are Boer/Nubian, unless the dad was Nubian then they are Nubian/boer. I know that it sounds picky but (and I may be wrong on this....if I am someone please educate me). If someone wanted to breed for size and not so much milk then they would choose the Boer/Nubian cross. If one wanted more milk and just a little more size than you'd use the Nubian/Boer so that any doelings would have more milking capacity.....I say this because I am exploring which way I should go to keep decent milk production but add some meat to my slim Nubian milkers.

Anyone got the answer?

Congrats at any rate....it seems as though it was a year for bucks!

3. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

If the sire is mentioned first, then they're Boer/Nubians, yes indeedy. I didn't realize that there was a specific order, although on retrospect, it makes perfect sense. Everything else to do with critters is done that way. :)

Yes, boys did seem to be the order of the 'year', didn't they?

Meg

4. Farmgirl2005

Farmgirl2005 Well-Known Member

Post pictures PLEASE PLEASE. i am so happy for you my horse just gave birth to a lil boy tucker, and my doe is due june 16th i cant wait. AGain please post pictures
    Lyn

5. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

Congrats on the kids. Boys do seem to be the the thing this year. Most everyone I know has had boys this year. We had a boy too and I guess we are gonna wind up keeping him. No one needs boys this year. The does are in demand.

6. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I wish I could post pictures, but I don't have a digital camera.

They are all beautiful, though :p .

Barbeque One is solid brown. Not a white hair or black hair on him anywhere.

Barbeque Two is mostly black. He has a white splash on his right side, that from a small distance looks like a whale flipping it's tail. He has a huge white pyramid on his left side with a black spot dead center (looks like a target), and two off center white snips on his face. He's by far the largest of the bunch...ole bighead. I'm wondering if he's gonna fit in the disbuddiing box this weekend!

Barbeque Three is brown with black stripe down his back, black legs, white spot on muzzle, large white swirl on forehead, and frosted ears. I love frosted ears.

Barbeques Four is brown, with black legs, under tail, and markings on face, but no white anywhere.

I think One and Two, especially Two, would be the candidates for work wethers. Three and Four are more dainty.

Sorry, had to brag some more! Since I can't do pictures.

Meg