All about pygmies?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by flannelberry, Mar 27, 2006.

1. flannelberry

flannelberry Pure mischief

Hi everyone

We weren't going to have pygmies but... we have a young lady in the family who has to give up her goats and so... rather than buying my milkers we're going with adopting her pygmies.

So, what should I know about them? I have been around them before and I have had Nubians and Alpines, so I do know goats (a bit, I've only had wethers).

Witchysharon? I'm counting on you to help me spoil my babies! Give me all of the info I need to be the best goat mama for these two.

2. famer_manda

famer_manda I Love CHICKENS!

I just bought two pygmys on Saturday. You are a little ahead of me though because I really haven't had any experience with any kinds of goats. Congrats on your new additions to your family!

3. glidergurl03

glidergurl03 Well-Known Member

They're just like any other goats except they're kegs on legs...LOL.

4. flannelberry

flannelberry Pure mischief

Congrats Manda!

glidergurl - lol!

So, nothing special I should know about with them?

5. glidergurl03

glidergurl03 Well-Known Member

Not that I can think of. Just that they're smaller. They like to have stuff to jump on, but what goat doesn't? My Nigerians are in w/ my miniature horses and love the company...Pygmys and Nigerians are both very friendly, loving goats. Keep 'em away from the feed room though...cuz once they know where it is....WATCH OUT! :)

6. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

Kegs on legs indeed, cute as buttons. Nothing special you need to know, only that even among goats, they are exceptional escape artists! Of course, all they want to do once they get out is locate you. :rolleyes:

7. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Huh, my pygs must not have gotten that info... Never had an escapee (yet) and as soon as they're out, thats where they want to stay. In otherwords, they just run away. In the pen they are all cuddly, but outside the pen they want to stay away from me, lol, I'm the mean person who puts them back in the horrible pen!