Alien in my Pot Belly

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by thorngirl, Oct 2, 2004.

1. thorngirl

thorngirl Well-Known Member

Something weird is going on with my 4 month old female pot belly, she has a strange lump in her belly and it moves around. Her belly looks like she ate a small childs basketball,very very round looking and it swings back and forth when she walks and I know it's not fat. Sometimes it looks like a snake is inside there. You can see it better when she lays on her right side. She's been wormed once a month with Ivercare paste, she eats good and has good poops ( not runny or anything like that). I wanted to use her as a breeder but I'm not sure now. Any thoughts?, Thanks.

2. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

sounds as if she is already bred. they come into first heat at 3 months. has she been "exposed?"

3. thorngirl

Well, she was in a play pen with 2 other males( about 2 weeks ago) but it lasted for about 10 minutes because she beat the beegeebers out of them so I put her by herself. She was born with an outy belly button and within a month or so her belly started the really round looking thing and it's just gotten bigger since then.

4. dla

dla Well-Known Member

amazin' ain't it? :haha:

5. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Looks like you may have a few surprise additions coming soon :D What is it 3 months 3 weeks, 3 days, at 3 in the moring? :eek:

6. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

I've known of them to get pregnant at only 2 months

7. thorngirl

If she is pregnant, won't it be dangerous for her to deliver being that she's no bigger than a minute???. She's way smaller than the average pot belly weighing in at about 3-4 pounds or so.

8. dla

dla Well-Known Member

So do we know yet?????
    :)

9. mamahen

mamahen Well-Known Member Supporter

Ok, I'm not a piggie person, but... could it be a hernia?

If she has an "outie" belly button, that sounds like an umbillical hernia. I had a kitten that had one & the vet suggested VERY gently rubbing it to push it back in every day. I did that every time I picked him up (he was about 6 wks old when I got him). It did finally seal up itself, without the operation.

If it looks like a snake, that could be her intestines in the hernia, I suppose.

But if she's just looking plump & pregnant, maybe that's what she is?

I would worry a little about delivering if she's so tiny (3-4 lbs) My 3 month old kittens are 4 lbs!! :eek: But then again, I worry about everything!

Push gently on the roundness of her belly, is it on the sides? Does it wiggle when you push on it? Does it push back? Babies & intestines feel different, you should probably be able to tell.

Good Luck! Tricia

10. marvella

i'm curious too.

what did you plan to do with them? if not eat them, i'll give a home to a weaned female. the one i have would love a playmate. if you are in sc, i'm not too far away in tn.

i cannot repeat this enough- pot bellied pigs DO NOT make good pets. only possible other use is food. others on here know far more about that, than i.

11. thorngirl

Okay.... I think she is for sure pregnant. She was sleeping on the couch with me last night and one side of her belly was against mine and I had my hand on her other side all of a sudden it was like she ate mexican jumping beans, movement was everywhere and I squeezed a little bit and I do believe I had ahold of a baby and it did a lot of pushing back too. I thought it was a hernia at first but the belly button went down within the first month or so. Marvella, why do you say they don't make good pets?, All but 2 of mine have been raised in the house with us and 3 are pretty much permenent house pigs,Lola being 160 pounds is our biggest baby ever. We sold the last two litters of piglets for 150.00-250.00 each and that didn't even include shipping.

12. marvella

first of all i want to be clear that they are your animals and i completely respect your right to do with them what you wish.:)

but my experience is that almost every PB pig i've known follows the same pattern. they live to be 2 or 3 years old, at which time they weigh 300 pounds, and are too big to walk anymore, get constipated from lack of exercise, and dies of a ruptured bowel. or they get pneumonia from lack of exercise and end up being put down. or an uncut male becomes entirely too agressive over food, grabbing it out of peoples hands and such, and they have to be put down. most people are not willing to have them live in their house (tho i am, as they are the easiest house trained animal i have ever seen.) they are a tropical animals, and to keep them healthy, they need heated shelter through most of the winter if they liov outdoors. their top weight, in captivity, should be is 100#. in the wild, they top out at 75#. that means that they shouldn't be fed any ration, and only allowed to eat what they can graze. this keeps their weight at a reasonable place, and therefore a longer life. if you know and love pigs, you also know this is not an easy thing to do, as they will do anything for food. it's their reason for living.:)

i'm surprised you are still able to sell them. around here, the ones that aren't killed for food all end up in animal rescue, or being put down. the one i have came from some neighbors who didn't want theirs anymore, so stocked the national forest around our homes with them, and hunted them. i don't have a problem with that (see their business above) but this one ended up almost dead from my dogs, on my hearth, and decided to live instead.

in short, best of luck with your pigs. i am completely in love with mine, and have room for one more, if you know of one that needs a good home.

13. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

People looking to adopt pot-bellies should come to Fayetteville, NC. I believe it was 57 pigs confiscated from a man who wasn't caring for them. All the young ones were placed quickly. Last I heard, they still had 19 adults, including uncut boars, and pregnant females left to place. Many have never been handled.

You could contact the local humane society for more info. If anyone is truly interested, pm me, and 'll get you a contact.

And all this, because a man couldn't be bothered neutering his 'pets', or even separating them.

Meg :)

14. marvella

thanks megz- i'm in tn, not too far from fayetteville. yes, i'd like contact info, please? i think lily would enjoy a companion. thanks.

15. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Marvella, thanks for the word of caution.

Initially I was gonna jump all over you :eek: for suggesting PBs don't make good pets ... ours is such a sweetie!

Then I realized you meant because of health issues ... I showed your post to my husband, who (over)feeds our girl, and emphasized how being so fat really isn't good for her!!!!

I think he listened, for once. :rolleyes:

Thanks. :)

16. marvella

to have a happy, healthy pig (and i know we all try and do our best for the animals in our care) they require a lot of maintenence, more than most people who get them realize. pigs will literally eat themselves to death. lily lives outside now, and only grazes what she can find in the yard- i now know what they mean by the expression- happy as a pig in clover.:) it's her absolutely favorite foraged food, and she will lie down in it and munch for hours. they will also eat most anything growing in a yard, dandelions, grubs and insects, unless it is a suburban kind of grassy yard. i let my yard grow up a couple of weeks longer before mowing, than some people are happy with, but it gives her a wide varitey of foods to choose from. she is now almost 3, and is sleek and only a little fat. it's me that has a hard time not feeding her, so all she gets from me is fruit and veggie scraps, and a couple of handfuls of oats, that she ends up having to share with the chickens. the oats won't put any weight on her, but satisfies both of our compulsions to give her food.:) i'm still not sure how we are going to work out the heat for her this winter. she loves her dog house, and on cool nights she will wrap completely up in an old blanket i put in there. when it gets really wintery, i'll have to hang a heat lamp somewhere, and that along with plenty of hay to burrow in, will keep her toasty all winter. this will be her first winter all outside, if i can stand it. the last couple of winters she laid around so much, she was nearly hibernating, only came out to eat and to poop every couple of days. emerged fat in the spring, just in time to find the first patches of clover.:)

yes willow girl, i love my pig, and not ashamed to say it.:) she is just a lot more work than i expected.

17. thorngirl

I understand what you're saying also. I do have one that's 150-160 pounds and losing weight now. The others are all 50-60 pounds and one is about 25 pounds I lucked into him a few months ago. I have a few photo albums with some pictures of them at www.photoisland.com user= thorngirl password= happiest have a look and tell me what you think. Fair warning I'm not the best at taking pictures. :eek:

18. thorngirl

Hi everyone.... Bay Bay has been grinding her teeth almost non stop since yesterday morning and I noticed last night that her belly looks dropped, I can still feel movement and everything so I know the babies are okay still. I'm wondering how close she might be to having these babies????.

19. marvella

i wish i could tell you when, thorn. it was a surprise to me when lily's mama had her litter in my barn. i too just thought she was getting fat. her belly almost dragged the ground when she was due, if that's any help. and lily grinds her teeth all the time, so i don't know if that's a sign of distress or not. i'm sure it's not in lily. she seems to do it when she is content, almost like the goats do when chewing their cud.

saw your pretty pigs! you can't help fall in love with them when they are babies. which pig is the mama of that litter? and this is now one of the babies that is pregnant? chances are good that she has been bred by her brother. it's quite amazing how early they mature? lily's mother was really small when she had her litter but didn't seem to have any problems. keep us posted? you are really going to have a house full of pigs soon!!!

20. thorngirl

Bay Bay's mom is Prudy, she throws all teeny tiny babies that stay small as adults too. Her belly isn't dragging but it sure does wiggle alot. She's a bit moody towards her human daddy today :( and wants to be close to me more. I wish she'd stop with the tooth grinding though it's driving me nuts.