Alge in water troughs/buckets

Discussion in 'Goats' started by GoldenWood Farm, May 11, 2006.

1. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Arrrgg! It is starting now...the alge is coming! It is frustrating because it seems I could clean buckets every day and there would be MORE alge in it the next day. I am nervous about putting anything IN the water to keep alge out as I have milkers and kids (goat not human :p ) who drink the water :help: . What do you guys/gals do to help keep alge out besides cleaning everyday :shrug: .

I am trying to start cleaning buckets weekly but it is gross to me to see that alge in them*shudders*. I hate it...some is green alge and some is a reddish alge or slime. Any ideas? (some people say by putting a small amount of bleach in water it will stop alge but again I am nervous due to having milking does and kids).

MotherClucker

2. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Try scrubbing your buckets with bleach, then rinse well before filling again. If you can rotate buckets, and leave the empty ones out in the sun for a few hours, that will help, too. The algae will come back, but not quite so quickly -- you should only have to scrub once every couple of weeks or so (unless you have algae in your water supply, in which case it might be a little more often).

Kathleen

3. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Last year I did try and scrub every 1-2 weeks and I used bleach everytime. I am wondering about maybe switching out buckets? Like having back ups and switching every day or everyother day and washing the ones that have been used. That way I can keep fresh water in them and keep alge down *wishing she had a HUGE dish washer*.

I am not sure if that would be to much hassle or not though :shrug: . Our well water as it is high in iron :bash: . Which really really sucks seeing as THAT adheres to the buckets :help: . Lol...it creates also a red slime like stuff on the inside (which is worse than the stinking alge!).

I am wondering....I have been toying with the idea of putting Apple Cider Vinager in our goats water as that is supposed to be good for them. I wonder...do you think that might help as it is acidy?

MotherClucker

4. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

It wouldn't hurt to try the vinegar; as you say, it's good for the goats. I wouldn't be too sure that the 'iron' deposits in your buckets aren't another form of algae -- it comes in different colors.

The sun is a good disinfectant, so if you can get some extra buckets, and leave the empties in the sun for a while, I really think that would help.

What kind of buckets are you using? I use the black rubber ones (because I have to knock ice out of them in the winter), and while I do scrub periodically, what algae forms between scrubbings doesn't show against the black, so it doesn't bother me, LOL! (And the goats don't care, as long as the water is clean.)

Kathleen

5. Dink

Dink Well-Known Member

you could put alge eaters in the buckets.

6. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

I have to say I thought I was the only one with that problem. Several people put gold fish in their tanks around here. That really helps but I could just see my goats eating the fish. I use the 50 gallon black rubber maid troffs,(Two of them) but I can still see all the nasty stuff also. I know my horse likes to rinse his mout hin the water, and that doesn't help.

7. Debara

Debara Well-Known Member

We have iron in our well water... which also leaves a reddish residue in our buckets after a few days. I use white vinegar to clean the water bowls out. I have plastic and rubber water dishes. I have to clean every few days because of the iron reddish residue. We now live in Florida... first year. But I have always been fusy as to cleaning our pets dishes out. I have always used either vinegar or bleach to clean. I have also heard that you can put a little vinegar in the water... but I believe that this is more to keep bug away from the water. Good luck, Debbie

8. wooly1s

wooly1s Well-Known Member

We're going to try the switch to hose nipples this year...sick of slimy summer troughs. It works great with the pigs...hopefully the goats and sheep will catch on, too.

9. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Try just a tiny bit(a teaspoon for forty gallon tub) of copper sulfate in the water tubs. Works wonders here for the algae......