Algae in water tanks

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by mathis, Jul 12, 2005.

1. mathis

mathis Active Member

How do you keep the green stuff from growing in the water tanks?!? I have been dumping them and cleaning them often, but it seems like there must be a better way! Is it harmful to sheep? Or just gross?

2. eieiomom

eieiomom Well-Known Member

We have goldfish in some of our water tanks, they do a pretty good job.

Deb Bender
    Deerfield, Wisconsin

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I think it is the other things that will grow with or on algea that is the problem, snails for example carry liver fluke.

4. luvrulz

luvrulz Well-Known Member Supporter

I vaguely remember someone telling me that cider vinegar helps keep it down. Maybe a tablespoon or two....no harm to the sheep either (or the chickens, or the pooches or whatever...)

With my cows, I have more than one water source and let the trough get way low and the sun bakes it off and I start over. Their trough is huge and not easy to dump.

5. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

When I dump my stock tanks, I spray a strong bleach/water mixture on, let sit 15 minutes, then rinse well. It kills lots of the algae and keeps it from coming back so fast. Also, try to place your stock tanks in the shade if possible ~ that helps too.

6. mathis

mathis Active Member

Thanks for the hints. My tanks are pretty big and heavy to dump, too....that's why this has been so frustrating. Someone told me to use a small amount of blueing. Anyone ever heard of that?

7. littlebitfarm

littlebitfarm Scotties rule! Supporter

I use goldfish in my tanks also. Keeps them algae free and no mosquito larva either. They've been there a couple years. I've never fed them but they keep growing. Plus visiting little kids think it's pretty neat! :happy:

Kathie

8. ONThorsegirl

ONThorsegirl Fergusons Family Farm

We also use goldfish. they work good. The only problem with us is the Cold winters we have. They can't stay all year in the tanks and we have ot bring them in. Which they noramlly can't take the temperature change and die so we have to restock in the Spring. They can live in tanks with a small layer of ice if it is broken but it gets so cold here they freeze over quickly.

Melissa

9. littlebitfarm

littlebitfarm Scotties rule! Supporter

My goldfish overwinter outside. There is a tank heater that keep a small circle of water ice free. They do fine out there, even in the cold water.

Kathie

10. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    There is some kind of water plant that we use here, it keeps the tank clean and looks like seaweed, I do not know the name, maybe its a Florida only thing. Anybody got any clues about its name?