Alfalfa Prices and Pellets

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Kimon, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Kimon

Kimon Not a Cannibal

Hey gang here in Lower Alabama it seems that alfalfa prices have gone through the roof and we need to make some substitutions.

Currently the price for regular alfalfa from Phillips is around 14.50 a bale - wow. My goats are currently eating free choice alfalfa and some phillips goat mix.

What are you paying where your at?

BTW - regular orchard hay is about 5.50 a bale if you can find it.

If I go to pellets how much should I feed them?

What is the difference between regular bales of alfalfa and compressed alfalfa? If I use compressed is free choice ok?

My heard consists of 10 breed Mini Lamanchas and one full lamancha in milk along with one buck. The all seem to be doing well on the straight alfalfa hay/goat mix. Any nutritional suppliments or suggestions? Not much to graze on in the pasture this time of year although they do seem to love the pecan leaves that are still blowing around.

2. trob1

trob1 Well-Known Member

Well you might find the pellets cheaper and pound per pound they are the same but no waste with the pellets. Here I weighed a flake of alfalfa and it was around 3 lbs and most people I have heard that feed the pellets feed 3lbs per full sized doe.

3. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

Wow! I feed free choice alfalfa but I got mine at $1.50 a bale (it's usually $2.50, but they cut me a deal if I picked up the loaded wagon and unloaded it myself in the barn.) No wonder big semi's are headed south with loads of hay!! I feel for you, $14.50 a bale is emough to make ya faint!

Kaza

4. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

I feed grass hay free choice, and alfalfa pellets, no grain until they're closer to kidding (and then it will be horse feed). Alfalfa pellets are considerably cheaper than bales here and there's no waste.

5. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

Ok, I am thinking REALLY nasty, mean, unkind, and jealous thoughts about you :flame: I pay $14.00 per bale and my goats WASTE IT!!! I am going to pellets when the rest of the hay is gone.
    PS I AM kidding ; just really really really jealous, really.