Alfalfa Hay

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sidepasser, Apr 26, 2005.

1. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

Hi,

well it is getting close to time to go up north for a load of alfalfa hay for my horses. I was curious - do any of you grow alfalfa (blister beetle free and cured properly) for horses?

If so, why not ship down south? Shoot, I have a list of folks that buy hay, just no way to haul it, if I had a semi, I could sell the whole load within a week.

Now I drive up to Ohio or somewhere and pick up my annual 100 bales and hotfoot it home and pray for no rain on the way, my slant load will haul exactly 72 bales, so the rest goes on the truck and the top of the trailer rack.

Just wondering if anyone on the board has horse quality alfalfa hay for sale.

Sidepasser

2. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

Lots of folks out of The Dakotas and Kansas will haul a semi load anywhere in the U.S. Look in any farm magazine or web search alfalfa hay or hay exchange.

3. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

We are still a few weeks away from making hay in this area, except for people who chop it for silage or do wrapped round bales that are not as weather-dependent. (Definitely not horse-hay scenarios!)

It sounds like you might want to concentrate on the Midwest? We understood the blister beetle is not this far north and east.

Have you looked into any hay locator sites at your area ag college? Purdue University had one at one time and other land-grant ag college might also. Perhaps you can find some more locally available, given the price of fuel and all.

Finding small squares can be a trick, too, since a lot of big producers focus on dairy cattle in situations that call for "big squares" about the size of a cord of wood.

Hope you find what you need!

Ann

4. scott

scott Well-Known Member

we have about 30 bales left .... horses are happier with the pasture now ...

should have 225 or so bales in may/june ...alfalfa/timothy mix

where are you coming from ...the farm is 20 miles west of chillicothe

5. sidepasser

I live in Ga and gladly make the trip north west (last year it was OHIO..ha!) as I bought a 3Horse slant load trailer from Sundowner and about 15 miles from dealer, I bought a load of alfalfa and hauled it home.

Now I'm trying to wrangle a deal on some horse fencing and hay to make it worth my while to go up...geez, alfalfa is just like gold down here so I found some at 3.00 a bale (large bales too) and would have bought more if I could have gotten it home. Wonder how much a large U haul can carry???

I can't pay what they ask for it down here...so go and combine a yearly trip with something else so I can cover the gas...

Where is Chillicothe???

Sidepasser

6. scott

scott Well-Known Member

southern ohio .... 50 miles east of cincinnati (roughly) .... We have family in Marietta, ga .... I think it's about a seven hour trip door to door....

what in the world are they charging down there ? $4 bucks a bale here is pretty good money .... $5 isn't unheard of if supplies are tight.

we have another 6 acres just sitting there doing nothing ... thought about putting it in alfalfa as well ... wanted to get a couple of seasons under my belt before i put the money in it ... the deer have a pretty good time in the alfafa now. ... they'd be in heaven with 12 acres ...

7. sidepasser

last year I paid $3.00 for alfalfa in ohio, down here it sells for 10.00 per bale for a 65 to 70 lb. bale that is blister beetle free.

That is why I make a trip up and buy enough to last a year - I only feed it to the TBs and they only get one flake per feeding so 100 bales lasts me pretty much all year...

Of course that also depends on the moisture factor when it is baled, too much moisture in the bale means I will lose some due to the heat/humidity down here. I like it a dry as possible but then again, beggars can't always be choosers..

Sidepasser

8. scott

scott Well-Known Member

I got $3 last month on 100 bales ... and was happy .... good haying here last year ... one of the neighbors got 4 cuttings (very jealous) They are professionals and I only play a farmer on tv :).

9. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

I have got a tractor and trailer, I am looking for a contact to sell the bales I bring down, they would all be 2nd, 3rd, or 4th cutting hay (more protein). If I brought down a load could I look to reasonably get 9.00 a bale for it and have it off my trailer in a day?

(I am in Ohio, btw)

10. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

$3 a bale for alfalfa?!!!

Holey cow. It goes for $9 a bale here in western WA (right up on the Canadian border).

11. sidepasser

Hi,

Do you have it protein tested by anyone/university? You could probably get that down here for alfalfa provided it is weed free and good quality. How many bales you looking to sell per load? PM me with details like size of bales, time of delivery, whether you accept checks, etc. I don't pay that much for alfalfa since I pick mine up, and I don't mind going to get it. It's fun actually to spend a weekend away from the farm!

But I have some friends that are trying to put together a load now - and since each person gets so many bales, they split the load. We may be able to put enough people together in one area to unload your trailer for you in a day especially if you arrive on a Sat. morning.

Folks down in Florida regularly pay that much for alfalfa, and I have paid 8.00 a bale here for it. The feedstore gets 10.00 a bale and always sells out. He gets his from North Dakota I believe though by the tractor trailor load.

Sidepasser

12. sidepasser

Hi,

Can you pm me regarding details of your hay? I counted mine this morning, I may need to make this run quicker than I thought...

Sidepasser

13. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Well-Known Member Supporter

DH and I just took a load of 150 bales of alfalfa to Florida from MN. We sold it for $9/bale- could have gotten a few dollars more if we had had time to run around delivering, but one place took most of it and we sold the rest to friends and traded a few bales to another forum member. We went to do some work on my house down there and to pick up bees, so we did not want to spend a lot of time fooling with hay this trip. The "profit" on the sale did not even cover the cost of our fuel to make the trip, let alone meals and hotel rooms, so maybe that is why more people do not transport their hay down there. We had to go anyway, and needed a trailer to haul back my beehives and some honey house equipment, so we took the hay to help defray the cost of the trip. We will do this again the next time we go down, as we still have stuff to bring back, but I would not do it to try to make a profit, especially with fuel prices as high as they are now. Also, we needed a 32' gooseneck trailer to haul that many bales- we were fortunate to be able to borrow one from friends, but if we had to purchase one it would definitely not be worth it. And, DH has a macho, 4wd, diesel "guy" truck so we were able to pull the weight- not sure a smaller truck would have been able to do so.