Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does all alfalfa hay have blister bugs or is it just a possibility? looking around for some hay and found this AD

I have 45 square bales of nice 3rd cutting Alfalfa hay. Weigh approximately 90 pounds each. I bought them for my horses not knowing about the existence of the dreaded Blister Beetle and don't want to take any chances. I will trade for other hay or just sell these.

It sounds like the person thinks all alfalfa has these maybe I am just not getting enough rest lately.

Kasi

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
I know what I buy is guaranteed free of them, it may be that shes just heard the information too far down, after all can you imagine all the dead or sick critters there would all be if it was all contaminated.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
have been reading up a little more and it seems the 3rd and 4th cuttings are more susceptable to blister bugs, but also read that these cuttings would be more leafy and less stemy which to my thoughts would be better for my girls. I have contacted her and will be asking a few questions about where it was purchased etc.

·
Registered
355 Posts
You probably won't be able to find out unless your hay is local. Here's some history: Allfalfa used to be cut with a sickle-bar mower, which allowed the beetles to fly away unhurt. Nowadays, it's mowed with an implement that also crimps/crushes the stem, to make it dry faster. This also crushes a lot of the beetles, which end up in the hay. You can probably tell by looking closely at the stems in your hay if it's been crimped or not, but 90% of it is. Depending on how many goats & how much land you have, small amounts of hay aren't that hard to make. Check out www.mysticprairie.net, for details.

Madfarmer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts