Alfalfa, general feeding questions

Discussion in 'Goats' started by longhorngal, May 27, 2006.

1. longhorngal

longhorngal Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi all,
    Is there a general guideline for feeding alfalfa hay? I bought a bale for my new Saaned yearling who needs to gain a few pounds...
    She probably weighs about 70 lbs if I'm weight measuring her correctly with a tape measure...
    I have been giving her a big handful on the milk stand twice a day but not sure if that's enough :shrug: ? She gets bermuda we bale on the property but doesn't seem to eat a whole lot of that.
    She also gets a calf feeder ration from her previous owner but I'm adding in a little of my own goat ration. She's getting about 2 lbs a day of that and she gives about 3 cups of milk twice a day.
    Appreciate any thoughts!
    Cara

2. Croenan

Croenan Well-Known Member

I don't really see any harm in slowly giving her more. If she were a buck I'd say be careful but especially since she gets milked, I wouldn't be too concerned.

3. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

never had a goat OD on Alfalfa hay, its actually one of the BEST for them, they need and WANT the added protien and roughage it provides, grass hay is ok but not what a goat really needs/wants they need to eat all the roughage they can get and not so much of the grain unless they are in HEAVY milk production,
    we always gave our goats free choice Alfalfa or Soybean hay all year with just supplimental grain when they needed it.
    go ahead and increas her amount of available alfalfa as much as you can, i would only grain her as much as she can clean up in the stantion while your milking,
    Toomuch grain is worse for Bucks but its not the BEST for does eather

4. longhorngal

longhorngal Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for the help. She does seem to love it and I think she's looking slightly better already.

Cara

5. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

I give all my goats free-choice alfalfa, their hayracks are always stuffed with it! I find that the big goats will eat about 2-3 flakes a day, and the Nigerians will eat 1-2 flakes a day. They all get grain, the milkers according to production, and the non-milkers get a mere handful, just to shut them up! :dance: