Alfalfa for wether?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by AnnaS, Nov 23, 2004.

1. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

Can I safely feed dairy alfalfa hay to my blackface wether? He's the only sheep in a herd of milk goats and I hate to buy different hay just for him. He'll be on hay exclusively this winter, along with about 2 oz. of mixed grain a day (to get him into his pen).
    Do I need to do any supplement other than sheep mineral to balance alfalfa?
    Thanks!

2. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

He should do great on about a 2 inch flake of the alfalfa (half morning and half evening), plus the grain. I suspect he will come to his pen with just the alfalfa - they really like it. Even better would be to mix the alfalfa with some grass hay or oat hay. Regular sheep minerals should be more than sufficient.

If he hasn't been on the alfalfa, start him on it slowly - watch his droppings for them getting pasty and sticking together. If they do back off a little on the alfalfa and add in more grass hay.

3. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Do be careful on giving to much calcium & Grain to Wethers (both sheep & Goats), as they can end up with Urinary Calculi .

If you have to feed alfalfa and grain, please give them Ammonium Chloride .

4. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

Wow, I knew goat wethers got calci but didn't know about sheep... can I getAmmonium Chloride at the feed store or is this something I have to hunt for?

5. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

6. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Yes,, sheep wethers can get it too.. Even Rams for that matter.
    One of the Folks that bought one of my prized rams,, had him for 4 years and then he died of that Last year.
    The long and short of it was, she feed him fed feed too rich in calcium and to much grain. It could have been prevented if she would have listen to me.
    Was not at all happy about this,, as he was a veryyy nice Ram.

One of the reason I let folks know.