Aldi info, labeling, country of origin.

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Windy in Kansas, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Yesterday I inquired to Aldis about product labeling simply bearing Distributed by Aldi Inc rather than telling a country of origin for the product or processing location.

I received this today which I consider good news and to me tells that MOST Aldi products are of U.S. origin.

"It is a requirement in the United States that companies label product with the country of origin should that product be made outside of the US. ALDI does have product manufactured in other countries but it would be labeled as such with the country of origin. If the product is not labeled with a country of origin that means it came from the US."

I'd much rather pay Aldi 20¢ to 40¢ more per jar for U.S. pickles than buy more of the India pickles I inadvertently bought a week ago. Wouldn't we all?

Thanks Aldi for the prompt reply and great information. I'll not be concerned about your "Distributed by" again.

2. WhiteWillow

WhiteWillow Well-Known Member

I don't shop at Aldi's but that's nice that they gave you a detailed reply.

I really like that food is now labeled with country of origin. I don't really get why U.S. isn't included. I'm not sure I like the blind faith that is required if a product isn't labeled. You just make the assumption then? What if the manufacturer is breaking the law and not labeling the product? Just seems like everything should be labeled irregardless of country of origin. Doesn't really make sense to me.

3. beaglebiz

beaglebiz Wasza polska matka

I know I purchased chocolates there around the holidays, and they were labeled "Germany". They were scrumptious.

4. Kshobbit

Kshobbit Well-Known Member

Oh thank you for the information. I shop at Aldi's and relieved to hear that most of the food is made here in the USA.

5. katy

katy Well-Known Member

To me, their response is NOT as forthright as it appears. I use to buy 100 % juice from Aldi's that was labeled as distributed by and nothing more. This juice was in a clear plastic container and eventually my son noticed that on the container in very small print, MADE IN CHINA. Haven't bought another one since.

I have to keep reminding myself that Aldi's, as much as I like them, are a German company, doing business in the U.S.

I do not buy their meats because of the injected "broth", which automatically means more preservatives / chemicals.

6. Callieslamb

Callieslamb Well-Known Member

I usually don't spend a lot of money at Aldi's...but I think I am going to start. Glad to hear this.

7. mekasmom

mekasmom Well-Known Member Supporter

I love Aldis. I buy a lot of things there, and have never been disappointed with the products that we purchase.

8. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

I am required to sign a statement when I sell a LIVE LAMB off my farm:

9. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

So the juice was labeled (albeit in tiny print) and the meat is also described properly, why complain? We buy wild caught fish and shrimp; sometimes it takes pulling out the reading glasses and a few minutes to find out if a package from any store is farm raised. But it's always labeled--somewhere.

Aldi's chocolates rock!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  10. momtaylor

momtaylor Well-Known Member

could it maybe have been the CONTAINER that was manufactured in China??

11. Windy in Kansas

Meat falls into a different category and all must be labeled as to origin as I understand it from visiting a web site telling about labeling.

12. Haven

Haven ~Love Saves~ Supporter

Half of the food I look at only says "Distributed by" on the label. This drives me nuts and is so confusing. Is knowing where your food came from really too much to ask for? I really wish the US would require country of origin disclosure on every single ingredient in a product.

13. Windy in Kansas

Doubt many labels would be big enough.

14. DustyOpal

DustyOpal Well-Known Member

I love Aldi's for their canned goods, and I appreciate you sharing this with us. Thank you.

15. Ann-NWIowa

Ann-NWIowa Well-Known Member Supporter

I know that Aldis mandarin oranges are labeled product of China. I've inquired locally about the "distributed by" labeling but no one could answer it. I was glad to see that most products are from USA. I do watch produce to be sure its from USA and if I find foreign country labeling I usually do not buy. The German products Aldis have off and on thru out the year are excellent and I often buy them. I don't buy food from China or Mexico. Canada, England, Germany are okay with me for special items. Its a pain in the backside to have to read every label for cholesteral, carbs and country of origin, but I guess its part of life in 2010.

16. joshp

joshp Well-Known Member

Someone posted on another forum about the honey from China getting into the US labeled product. Apparently as long as 51% of the product is from the US it can be labeled made in the USA. Just an FYI.

Mrs. Josh

17. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Didjall know Aldi's owns Trader Joe's?

18. Kshobbit

Kshobbit Well-Known Member

Trader Joe's has all that organic and healthy food. But I love the coffee candy and the frozen chocolate covered bananas. Good thing I live in Kansas, and only go out there every year or two. Maybe I just like stores owned by German's?

19. TheMartianChick

TheMartianChick Well-Known Member

I buy only certain things from Aldi's. I have been able to find country of origin on most of them. I purchase only a few of their frozen juice concentrates because many of those have Chinese apple juice in them. Although I prefer to buy American produced foods, I only buy candy bars in Aldi's now. I don't like the fact that most US brands have high fructose corn syrup. The brands of chocolate that I buy at Aldi's seem to have very straight forward ingredient lists...and they taste so much better than waxy American brands!

20. DamnearaFarm

DamnearaFarm aka RamblinRoseRanc :) Supporter

Love Aldi's wish they had a Trader Joe's nearby as well. I emailed about a problem with two items and received a very quick response on both, as well as replacement product AND a refund. First problem i've ever had with their stuff.