Albon

Discussion in 'Goats' started by JAS, Jan 19, 2005.

1. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

I am giving my sick doe some Albon. I need to give it to her for five days. I forgot to ask the vet if I need to give her some probiotics with this. I gave her some last week but with the cold weather and stress she still was doing bad this week. Took a fecal in and turned up with coccidiosis (sp?) and more worms than we thought she could handle right now so we gave her an extra dose of wormer and started this Albon. Any other recommendations? Thanks.

2. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

Hey Jas, holding things down on your side of the state?

The nice thing about probiotics is it never hurts (as far as I know). So as I see it: when in doubt, whip it out and let her have it.

3. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

Hey, it is a heat wave--about 25 right now. I hung the insulated overalls up until I need them again. I have two does that are due anyday--I hope they wait for the 30-40's they are predicting for Monday-Tuesday.

I need to get a good supply of probiotics--any recommendations. I heard Calf-Pac by Loveland but could not find any?

Does Albon interfer with the stomach flora? I plan on talking with my vet but thought it wouldn't hurt asking here.

4. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

Here is a link to Fiasco Farms about cocci and Albon for you to consider

http://fiascofarm.com/goats/coccidiosis.htm

As for a probiotics source: we lucked into an unopened case from Fort Dodge that someone was giving away on Freecycle this past summer. It has an expiration of 2008 but i'm hoping it doesn't actually out date as 60 tubes is going to last a loooooooooooong time

5. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

Thanks Lt. Wombat for the link. I thought I would put this on the thread:

"Albon is a broad spectrum antibacterial. It is also used to treat shipping fever, bacterial pneumonia, footrot & diphtheria."

So with that in mind, I will assume her rumen bacteria will be effected.

6. Melissa--DryCreekAcres

Melissa--DryCreekAcres Member

Hey Lt Wombat and JAS --
    I know that Lt Wombat is west river . . . but where is JAS?
    We used to live in Sanborn County (Woonsocket) between Huron and Mitchell.
    But now we're near Rock Valley, Iowa -- actually closest to Hudson, South Dakota.
    There are so many folks on this list from far away -- just like to know who's around us!
    Thanks,
    Melissa

7. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

Yeah! Sanborn county, the flatest part of the state (except for the Jim River). That is why I am scared of heights :) ! I was born in Westington Springs, went to Forestburg until it closed and finished out at Letcher HS in '87. I am now near Brookings. I know what you mean about being far away from everyone--sometimes it is fustrating, other times it is not a bad thing.

Good to hear from a fellow Sanbornian, even though you were a Redmen, er Redwoman?--Go Tigers!

8. JAM

JAM Well-Known Member

Valley Vet Supply has probiotics. They also have two vets on hand all day that will answer any questions.