albon or biosol for scours?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by maryanne, Jan 16, 2007.

1. maryanne

maryanne Well-Known Member

I have both in medicine cabinet.., my doeling has terrible runs, im guessing its scours? which should I use?? and how much natural yogurt should I give once starting her on antibiotic. I have red cell also, does she need this too?

2. sixstrothers

sixstrothers Hallelujah Dairy

We need some more info. How old? Does she have a temp? Has she ever been wormed? Ever treated for Cocci? Have you changed anything in feed? Albon is good for cocci. http://fiascofarm.com/goats/coccidiosis.htm this is a great site full of information.
    Lori

3. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

more info would be very helpful. you might want to bring a fecal sample to your vet. you want to find out why she has diarhea and what the best treatment would be

4. annie716

annie716 Well-Known Member

Use albon or corrid, I had two doelings and a young buck w/scours and biosol did nothing for them. Lost one of the does. By all means take a fecal sample to the vet, I knew they had worms and had used safeguard but that didn't work either. They by then had coccidia & the worms were strongles (not sure of spelling on this stuff. My neighbors (dairy farmers) stopped in & knew by looking at them that it was coccidia, they had had it in calves, I went back w/them to get corrid, after one dose they showed improvement. My vet says albon is better than corrid even. Don't wait to long they don't last long.

5. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

Diarhea is a symptom not the cause.

Make sure you keep her hydrated and check by pinching the skin while you work on finding the source of problem.

6. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

Albon, a sulfa drug, is usually the best choice for kids. According to my vet, sulfa will treat cocci as well as other bacterial intestinal infections. He also prescribed something called Diarsanyl along with the sulfa.

7. maryanne

maryanne Well-Known Member

i lost 1 last week it was cocci...I will use albon. thanks!!!!!!!

8. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

marryann if you already lost one kid you might want to give all kids coccidia treatment and put them on cocciprevention every 20 days. mark it in your calendar that you stick with this schedule.

9. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

Did you ever get an answer on how much yogurt to give?