Alberta Clipper

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by tinda, Nov 29, 2006.

1. tinda

tinda Well-Known Member

Hi Ontario,Michigan and points east --- We're sending you something!!

the bad weather is on it's way.

Tues., Nov 28, was the coldest on record since 1889! The temp was -32.9C
    Anyway, we're finished with it so we are sending it along to you.
    Stay warm, stay safe. :bouncy:

2. pinecone44

pinecone44 Tree Hugger

:Bawling: tinda....a lump of coal in your stocking! :p

3. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

gee tinda we are supposed too get plus 14-16 (celsius)the next few days!!! maybe it's all the hot air off the hill, hope yer cold goes bak up north till christmas eve!!

4. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Seems like a regular winter festival going on. Here in Kansas where I live we had 71º yesterday and are now facing a week of temperatures around 30º with overnights in the teens. Bah humbug!!!!!

Yesterday when I awoke it was warmer outside than inside so I opened the windows.

When I got home from work I opened basement windows and turned the whole house fan on to pull warmer air into the basement. I can really tell the difference this morning.

5. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

Hey, Alberta hasn't sent it off completely yet ... it's -28 at my house, hasn't gone above -25 for at least the past 24 hours, longer I suspect, the truck's frozen, the busses aren't running, and the house batteries are low (solar power, gasoline powered genny backup ... you bet the first thing I did after emptying that last jerry can was email the natural gas company about hooking up to the pipeline!).

We do, however, have a big stack o' firewood, food in the pantry, and hay outside for the critters. Getting a bit low on dog food, but I put a pot of rice on the wood stove for them ... they could use the warmth anyway, I'm sure.

Thank heavens I can work remotely when it gets like this, and I'm not in a panic about getting to my job in the big city. Although, there's really not much I could do ... I'm so grateful to all of you who've inspired me to be prepared! I need much more prep, I can see that ... but hey, we are doin' ok for rookies. :)

6. NWoods_Hippie

NWoods_Hippie Well-Known Member

Better go check the radar and see what North Central Wisconsin and the UP of Michigan are in for. The weather has been odd the last few days, rainy and cool but not cold, hard rain with thunder around 8pm last night. When I went to bed last night at 10pm it was 47 degrees out, this morning down to 30 with weird dark grey clouds, some snow, and then the sun peeks out every now and then.

Margie

7. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

-13C in N.W. Ontario and to get down to -20 at night with wind chill over -25C.
    not as bad as Alberta, but it's a sudden cool off after the heavy rains we had the day before! :eek:

8. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

And that didn't include the wind chill!

I'm ready for this to be gone. I was talking to my Dad (who lives in Ontario) last night and he was LAUGHING at me, telling me that we ought to be moving back to CANADA rather than living in the subarctic.

I'm ready to unleash a bit of it on other "deserving" folks. :) Maybe then we'll get some nice warm -10 or so.

Tracy

9. Marialys

Marialys Proud to be a Troll!

It was 50F here when I went to bed last night... Current temp is 55F... Unseasonably warm weather for this time of year and I really wish it would cool off.

Friend of mine lives between Houston and Galveston and they are expecting temps in the upper 20s there tonight.

10. Bret

Bret Well-Known Member Supporter

Will the Alberta Clipper gift reach as far South as the bottom of Lake Michigan while heading east? Like, Northern Indiana? My computer temperature icon(Weather Chan.) says 61 degrees right now. It is flashing telling of significant cold and snow potential mostly late Thursday and early Friday. Thanks. It is the season for sending gifts afterall. :).

11. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Tracy, I'd be very glad to ship this weather back where it came from or to anywhere but here. I came into Calgary on Sunday to stay with family so I wouldn't have to commute in the cold. I'm sure they must be getting tired of me and I got word that my driveway is still blocked and likely won't be cleared till closer to the weekend. I think they call that the chinook method of snow removal :rolleyes: Oh well, it gives me time to spend with my nieces, which is always great fun.