Alaska question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Kenneth in NC, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

Is it possible to drive to Alaska without going through Canada? My BIL insist there is a way to go through Washington State and never touch Canada.

I say it can't be done. Who's right?

2. ak homesteader

ak homesteader Well-Known Member

Don't know how the two main roads are the Alcan and the Cassiar. The most southern point of Alaska is west of Prince Rupert.

3. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

Yes. Put your car on a boat or airplane
    and fly or have a nice ship vouge.

4. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..............The ONLY way is to put your vehicle on a ferry at Seattle , take the inside passage scenic tour and then offload when the boat docks at the southern tip of Alaska.......fordy... :eek: :)

5. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

You can Ferry a car out of Seatle to Juno, But you still go through Canadian waters.

6. GREEN_ALIEN

GREEN_ALIEN Sunny, Wet, Tornadoey SD!

Well you are the right one for sure, as long as the AK Ferry system is not used.

Choices are

1 - Pay way way too much to move you and you car up with the ferry.
    2 - Pay way way too much for Canadian gas.....

A friend of mine just made the drive and I have done it in a tractor trailer. If you have the time the drive is the best way to go.

7. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Do you have a road atlas? If you get it out and look you'll see that nowhere does Alaska touch the Lower 48, or Continental United States. Unless you take the ferry, as others have mentioned, the only way to drive to Alaska is through Canada. The major routes do start from Washington.

Kathleen in Oregon (and raised in Alaska, and been over the Highway a few times)

8. texican

texican Well-Known Member

You could drive over from Siberia to the Bering Peninsula, across the frozen sea, if you were either insane or looking for an adrenaline rush...........and it wouldn't hurt to have a death wish also...

Only one way to Ak, unless you barge your vehicle up, which would cost as much as the vehicle, and that's through Canada, whether you take the ferry or drive up from the states.

Driven the alcan and cassiar about 20 times, well worth the trip.
    Phil

9. GREEN_ALIEN

GREEN_ALIEN Sunny, Wet, Tornadoey SD!

OK OK LOL People do tend to stretch the truth a mite on the ferry cost. It is only about 1200 for a vehicle to 21 feet and 400 per person deck rate, one way.
    Seattle to Anchorage

G_A

10. Kenneth in NC

:dance: I win :dance: I win
    BIL owes me a Hot Fudge Sundae. :p

I thought about the Ferry but that ain't driving and like ya'll said he'd still be in Canada waters.

11. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Sounds like someone else not allowed into Canada. I haven't been able to enter since the mid 80's. Something about telling the border patrol exactly how I felt about their wonderful country.

mikell

12. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

:haha: Never thought of that. My brother isn't allowed into Canada either, for various infractions against the state. Which is a bit of a challenge, seeing as he lives in Alaska. He has solved the issue by flying point to point.

Seems to me he should have solved it by growing up a bit.. but to each his own. :no:

13. Kenneth in NC

BIL might fit that description. ;)

Today he's upstanding and raah raah raah. But 8 years ago :eek:

He's wanting to go spend another summer in Alaska and take all his firearms with him. That's where he got a bloody nose last time. He uhhhmmm told a "officer" that a 44 magnum with a 8" barrel should be considered a carbine not a pistol. Kinda went down hill from there. :no:

14. goggleye57

goggleye57 Active Member

Can you ups firearms to Alaska to get by the Canadian's irrational fear of handguns. Also can you haul long guns through canada without paying their firearm registration fees?