Homesteading Forum banner
81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Don't forget. The deplorable rural masses have a long history of being sold snake oil by college edumacated experts. If you have farmed very long, you have seen a lot of 180s and a few 360s in terms of expert advice.
My county's vaccination rate is somewhere around 18%. There seems to be a certain level of distrust of TPTB. Remarkably, there doesn't seem to be the need for mass cremation or an overflow at the aid station they label a hospital.

Though I did put on my full face respirator with P100 cartridges for the first time of this pandemic. Our Airbnb was inhabited for 5 days with 8-10 people of varying sizes that attended the sold out music festival. Normally, I would just wait a day before I inspected the damage, but there is a race coming up and we have to turn the place over. I felt the need to open up the windows for a few hours before the farm boss got busy.

·
Premium Member
27,936 Posts
I understand there are people uncomfortable with the vaccine. I am uncomfortable with it. I dont demean reasonable people who choose not to get it. I encourage people to block out the talking heads from the far left (like the media) and the far right (like you can read here) and talk to their physician about their concerns.
You mean the parrots who's line is "get the shot, get the shot, brwak, get the shot"?

As for the inefficiency of nature based medicine, consider the source of aspirin and quinine, even penicillin. And yes, plant based medicine has been used to fight cancer. Taxol is derived from the bark of yew trees.

·
Registered
387 Posts
You forgot foxglove.

And of course we understand exactly how aspirin interacts with the Cox receptors involved in inflammation, how quinine disrupts protein synthesis in mosquitos, and how penicillins weak bacterial cell walls.

How does Green Tea essential oil reduce your blood pressure AND cure your libido? by simple quackery.

·
Premium Member
27,936 Posts
You forgot foxglove.

And of course we understand exactly how aspirin interacts with the Cox receptors involved in inflammation, how quinine disrupts protein synthesis in mosquitos, and how penicillins weak bacterial cell walls.

How does Green Tea essential oil reduce your blood pressure AND cure your libido? by simple quackery.

I did not mention every single nature derrived medication. Opiates are another medicine.

I did not say it all works. A lot of it is quackery and snake oil. Just like otc medications, you have to do your research and be wary of too-good-to-be-true claims.

Topical benadryl does not relieve my itching from chigger bites but the jewelweed, witch hazel and aloe combination is awesome!

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
I used to date an RN. We had a " discussion" over 35 years ago about natural medicines. I asked her did penicillin come from Mars. Did Aspirin come from Mercury? Did Motrin come from Pluto?

No, it came from ingredients right here on Earth.

Had an ole timer tell me once that spider webs will immediately stop an arterial bleed. I laughed and patted him on his head and said "OK". Then back in '91 I had a guy lay open his wrist with an errant nail gun shot. Arterial bleed too. We were 1 hour from an ER. I remembered what he said and said " What the heck? it cant hurt." The spider web stopped it instantly. There is a coagulant in that stuff. Why would a spider want you to bleed out? There is no good stuff left if you bleed out. Like a steak that is smoked and not grilled like it should be.

Even a spider needs something to look forward to.

·
Registered
12,103 Posts
My health doesn't depend on rubbing goat manure on my prostate or eating a potion of crushed egg shells and lilac every morning, however I haven't seen any warning labels on natural meds that have side effects such as swallowing your tongue, depression, bulging eyeballs, suicide, explosive diarrhea or public masturbation as a side effect.
Odd how we are warned that natural meds aren't FDA approved, yet experimental vaccines are....

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
1,740 Posts
Hey! Folks. There is ONLY 1 solution: The Federal government must take over ALL medical facilities and services throughout the US.

You know: Kind of like it did airport security after 9/11.

It will be similar to the efficient, responsive, courteous, inexpensive US Postal System.

You know, much like the medical systems in other communist countries.

[/sarcasm]

·
Premium Member
27,936 Posts
The sad thing is that the govt really did try to stop the use of vitamins and herbal medicines. There was a part calling for regulation of all that including topical lotions and lip balm in the original ACA bill. Thankfully it was removed during the debates.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Natural remedies that have the desired effect. If you find your self in equatorial Africa, with a bad case of chapped lips. Apply rancid zebra fat to the affected area, it won't heal the cracks, but you won't lick your lips any more.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Had he been admitted to a hospital locally he had a better chance of living. I worked in an emergency room and as a medic on a rescue squad and I know this to be true. So covid did have a part in killing this man
My DH would have been dead or never fully recovered from what turned out to be a "widowmaker" heart attack at 47yo back in 2010 if I'd called the squad so he could've been taken to the "local" hospital who did not employ emergency stent docs. So, I would say that's not always true.

·
Administrator
20,244 Posts
And most of the time it is just about finishing your peas.
Approximately 81% of Albertans over the age of 11 have eaten our peas yet our hospitals are on the verge of collapse.

It's also worth mentioning that lowest percentage of pea eaters is the under 40 age group, which shocked me. I expected the holdouts to be in the 50+ range, with the exception of those living in long term care facilities.

·
Registered
12,103 Posts
Approximately 81% of Albertans over the age of 11 have eaten our peas yet our hospitals are on the verge of collapse.

It's also worth mentioning that lowest percentage of pea eaters is the under 40 age group, which shocked me. I expected the holdouts to be in the 50+ range, with the exception of those living in long term care facilities.
I was not a pea fan as a child. Then as I matured I realized they were pretty good little buggers once you got to know them.
My FIL grew to dislike peas as his dementia worsened; it could have been that he also hated them as a child.
Maybe a simple thing like peas takes a mature individual to really appreciate.

·
Administrator
20,244 Posts
I was not a pea fan as a child. Then as I matured I realized they were pretty good little buggers once you got to know them.
My FIL grew to dislike peas as his dementia worsened; it could have been that he also hated them as a child.
Maybe a simple thing like peas takes a mature individual to really appreciate.
It could be or it could also be that as a mature individual, we chose the type of peas, how they are prepared and we eat them when we feel like eating them.

·
Premium Member
27,936 Posts
People sure seem to be forgetting the difference between actual covid illness and patients with covid OR covid symptoms AND comorbidities. Kind of a lost cause now but still a mess.
The hyped up version that calls all positive cases covid, is what sells. The number of cases with covid but not sick from covid are not attention grabbers.

I am not saying it's not a problem, but it is adding to the problem. Hospitals have been short staffed for years, people have been neglecting their health for years, some doctor office policies have caused patients to skip much needed health care. Is what we are seeing now a direct result of the mandatory shut-down when you couldn't see a doctor in person or get treatment at the hospital?

81 - 99 of 99 Posts