Homesteading Forum banner
61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
If someone I respected told me that a dab of rosemary essential oil on my front sight would help me shoot better, and I did it, and believed that it would, there is a very good chance that it would. If you believe in something, very strongly, it might just come to pass. There are many instances of professional athletes having silly pregame rituals, there is also a thing known as the placebo effect.
I will tell you some things I don't believe in, the FDA, the CDC, and Pfizer. It is my belief that those things are synonyms, and that they will do anything in their power to sell product, right up until their lawyers tell them to stop.

·
Administrator
20,244 Posts
There is a lot that can be said for natural remedy, and the old-school wisdom has brought comfort to the ill for thousands of years.
I was pretty darned sick when I had covid and although I didn't treat it with essential oils, I'm sure some would call our plant based medicines quackery but trials have been ongoing for hundreds of years, there are few reported side effects and nobody is lobbying for FDA approval.

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
Would it be arrogant for a professional gunsmith to tell customers not to use essence of rose hips to better lubricate their slide? Or lavender oil on their front site to improve their aim?
Let’s make this an apt analogy.

As a professional gunsmith, it is my prerogative and my job to make my recommendation when asked. If a customer asked me about the lubrication value of essence of rose hips, I would tell them the truth; specifically that I don’t know how well essence of rose hips would work, but that I like grease on slide rails.

You, however, specifically called essential oils “quackery”. An true analogy would be if a client told me that their uncle, his family’s gunsmith, had recommended WD40, and I told him that his uncle was an old coot who didn’t know anything about guns. That would be arrogance similar to what you displayed.

I don’t care for WD40 on my guns, and I’ve never used it on a client’s gun, but I also recognize that WD40 has been used for decades, and that there are use-cases and maintenance regimens where WD40 would certainly do more good than harm.

There’s a big difference between stating your fact-based, professional opinion and being a pompous ass that validates the negative opinion earned by your colleagues.

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
I was pretty darned sick when I had covid and although I didn't treat it with essential oils, I'm sure some would call our plant based medicines quackery but trials have been ongoing for hundreds of years, there are few reported side effects and nobody is lobbying for FDA approval.
It’s often overlooked that “the old ways” were often arrived at by something very much like the scientific method; if not scientific method mixed with Darwinism.

If something is tried, and thought to work, it is tried again… and again and again, in many cases for hundreds of years. With so many repetitive trials, something that doesn’t work, or makes the situation worse, eventually falls out of the tribal knowledge. It obviously isn’t a perfect system, but I sincerely think it’s a mistake to dismiss the findings of our ancestors out-of-hand.

Most of the oft cited examples of pseudo-medical quackery, blood-letting and lobotomy, for example, weren’t old-way knowledge with hundreds of years of trial and error behind them. They were rushed methods, developed and auto-corroborated by self-appointed experts in positions of authority who told their patients it worked, despite some very concerning contemporaneous evidence.

Smell familiar?

·
Registered
387 Posts
I think you would bedoing a disservice to your customers if you didnt tell them that the Rose Hips wouldn't work, and could possibly do harm.

But feel free to think I'm a pompous ass, and feel free to spend your money on overpriced lavender oil.

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
I think you would bedoing a disservice to your customers if you didnt tell them that the Rose Hips wouldn't work, and could possibly do harm.

But feel free to think I'm a pompous ass, and feel free to spend your money on overpriced lavender oil.
I think you’re voluntarily missing the point, and not at all responding to what I actually said. You’re much smarter than that, but, hey, if stabbing a strawman makes you feel better, don’t let me get in your way.

·
Registered
387 Posts
So you found my use of the term "quackery" to be too pejorative? It's faster to type out "quackery" than the phrase "wildly successful mid-level marketing tool that employs sales people who are utterly untrained in basic sciences to sell topical potions to their friends while promising these pleasant smells will cure everything from metastatic cancer to infertility but since they are completely unregulated nobody is required to actually study the efficacy of their claims, and since they are all sold by friends and family nobody is ALLOWED to call it the (pleasantly scented) bull excrement that it is".

That's just a bit too much to type. so I used the term "quackery".

·
Administrator
20,244 Posts
So you found my use of the term "quackery" to be too pejorative? It's faster to type out "quackery" than the phrase "wildly successful mid-level marketing tool that employs sales people who are utterly untrained in basic sciences to sell topical potions to their friends while promising these pleasant smells will cure everything from metastatic cancer to infertility but since they are completely unregulated nobody is required to actually study the efficacy of their claims, and since they are all sold by friends and family nobody is ALLOWED to call it the (pleasantly scented) bull excrement that it is".

I think that describes pharmaceutical reps as well.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I think that describes pharmaceutical reps as well.
While I appreciate your dislike of them, I have found most reps to be pretty smart, and are well educated in chemistry, statistics, pharmacology, and pathophysiology. They can tell you what receptors their drugs target, numbers needed to treat, etc.

Those making, selling, prescribing, or dispensing Losartan understand the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone cycle, how it affects hypertension, and where losartan affects this cycle.

Essential oil salespeople rarely know what the numbers of a blood pressure actually mean.

I am not demeaning them as people, I have many great friends who I love who sell (and who buy) these oils, but they dont know a damn thing about what is in them or how they could possibly work.

·
Administrator
20,244 Posts
While I appreciate your dislike of them, I have found most reps to be pretty smart, and are well educated in chemistry, statistics, pharmacology, and pathophysiology. They can tell you what receptors their drugs target, numbers needed to treat, etc.

Those making, selling, prescribing, or dispensing Losartan understand the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone cycle, how it affects hypertension, and where losartan affects this cycle.

Essential oil salespeople rarely know what the numbers of a blood pressure actually mean.

I am not demeaning them as people, I have many great friends who I love who sell (and who buy) these oils, but they dont know a damn thing about what is in them or how they could possibly work.
I dislike the BS, hype and hate that seems be the new face of covid.

I know a couple pharma reps and interestingly enough they have Bachelor of Arts degrees and I'm pretty confident that most of the world could live well without their little bag of tricks of they ate properly, spent more time outside and invested in a pair of good walking shoes and ditched their televisions.

·
Registered
6,757 Posts

I’ll tell you what, bro. Post a single (and I mean even just ONE) Church of Science!(tm) position preached to us by Saint Fauci of Deesisi that has been consistent for more than 90 days, couldn’t be negated by an earlier lie, and that actually follows the science (as opposed to The Science!(tm)), and I’ll consider the stuff you’ve been shamelessly evangelizing to the deplorable rural masses here as something other than “wildly successful mid level marketing”.

Oh, and, just in case we stray too far from actual truth:
Jeffrey Epstein didn’t kill himself.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'm sure I could wade through some of the crap Fauci has spread to find some consistent truth, but not much.

You CAN be pro science, scientifically trained, and see that Fauci is a political hack, the vaccine isnt great but it's better than nothing for most people, AND there is a tremendous amount of quackery like essential oils.

Azith needs to be studied better. Ivermectin needs to be studied better. Everything needs to be studied better.

And Epstein's death should be studied better!

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
Don't forget. The deplorable rural masses have a long history of being sold snake oil by college edumacated experts. If you have farmed very long, you have seen a lot of 180s and a few 360s in terms of expert advice.

Reactions: Hiro
61 - 80 of 99 Posts