Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Sock puppet reinstated
25,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

"Ray DeMonia's family said it took calls to 43 hospitals across three states to get the 73-year-old a cardiac ICU bed. He later died in a facility in Mississippi, 200 miles from his Alabama home. His relatives wrote in his obituary "please get vaccinated...to free up resources for non-COVID related emergencies."

This report is according to his family. I don't yet see independent verification.

·
Premium Member
27,907 Posts
I read that yesterday. That should not be happening. In hospital after hospital the employees are being worked to death, in some cases literally, by administrations that cannot properly staff their hospitals. Covid or no covid, hospitals all across the country are turning patients away because they are understaffed.

It will get worse before things get better.

·
Registered
7,663 Posts
I know several people right now that are just now going for anything from minor to major surgeries that were put off because of the expected shutdown of the entire healthcare system because of covid. I also remember back when we had a president that wasn't suffering from dimentia setting up naval hospitals and things like that to deal with a surge in cases.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts

"Ray DeMonia's family said it took calls to 43 hospitals across three states to get the 73-year-old a cardiac ICU bed. He later died in a facility in Mississippi, 200 miles from his Alabama home. His relatives wrote in his obituary "please get vaccinated...to free up resources for non-COVID related emergencies."

This report is according to his family. I don't yet see independent verification.
So according to his family he was admitted to a hospital, just not one close to home. And he died anyway. So because it sounds more sensational they have found something to blame it on. A 73 year old man died in a hospital, from a heart condition, so lets blame it on Covid.

·
Registered
820 Posts
So according to his family he was admitted to a hospital, just not one close to home. And he died anyway. So because it sounds more sensational they have found something to blame it on. An 73 year old man died in a hospital, from a heart condition, so lets blame it on Covid.
Had he been admitted to a hospital locally he had a better chance of living. I worked in an emergency room and as a medic on a rescue squad and I know this to be true. So covid did have a part in killing this man

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Had he been admitted to a hospital locally he had a better chance of living. I worked in an emergency room and as a medic on a rescue squad and I know this to be true. So covid did have a part in killing this man
What would a local hospital have done differently than the hospital 200 miles away? There are three hospitals within one hundred miles of me. But they all transfer their heart patients to the heart hospital. Which is way over 200 miles from me. Should I insist on staying locally or go to the hospital that is farther away? And working as a medic hardly makes you qualified to make decisions for heart patients.

·
Administrator
20,246 Posts
What would a local hospital have done differently than the hospital 200 miles away? There are three hospitals within one hundred miles of me. But they all transfer their heart patients to the heart hospital. Which is way over 200 miles from me. Should I insist on staying locally or go to the hospital that is farther away? And working as a medic hardly makes you qualified to make decisions for heart patients.
My little hospital does the same but they tend to stabilize them before they are sent to other hospitals.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
It doesn’t matter.
Someone will pop up to say it never happened.

According to the official govt reporting, AL has only 1/3rd of its staffed ICU beds occupied.

Doesn't the claim that they called 45 hospitals ring an alarm in your brain? At only 5 min per call, that's almost 4 hrs on the phone for a guy having an acute heart attack. It's either a lie or they're really stupid. Who calls about an ICU bed anyway? Just go to the hospital. If they;re on standby, they'll make arrangements for a bed at another hospital. They have lawyers to worry about, you know.

As far as cardiac care in a small hospital goes-- larger hospitals will have capabilities for invasive cardiac procedures-- emergency CABG or cath + stenting-- not available at the small places. It sounds like the problem was that they chose to live in the sticks and have a reason to regret that choice now....How does CoViD enter into this?

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
The article says that they were looking for a cardiac ICU bed. That means he would have had a pre authorization from an insurance company called in by a ER, PCP, or a surgeon, you don't just walk in and ask for a cardiac ICU bed. So some doctor saw him, called his insurance company for a pre authorization, and the closest hospital that had room took him in. This happens hundreds of times a day, and has for years. Absent information the contrary, we must assume that the hospital that took him met the standard of care, and he died anyway.

Most heart conditions are preventable. So people are complaining that someone died from a mostly preventable disease, because other people were in other hospital beds for a disease that some people believe is preventable via a vaccination. Did I miss anything?

·
Registered
820 Posts
It's not the difference in distance but the difference in time. The quicker a person in trouble enters the ER the better chance he has of living. Instead this guy was driven around and around wasting that precious time. In the back of ambulances there are no shock paddles or other living saving materials. So it is TIME that matters first, that golden hour and his was spent dying through no fault of his own.

·
Registered
11,345 Posts
I don't[ know of any ambulance that doesn't carry an AED.

·
Registered
820 Posts
It's not the difference in distance but the difference in time. The quicker a person in trouble enters the ER the better chance he has of living. Instead this guy was driven around and around wasting that precious time. In the back of ambulances there are no shock paddles or other living saving materials. So it is TIME that matters first, that golden hour and his was spent dying through no fault of his own.
But working as a medic does give me the ability to decide to call out the helicopter. And if I decide, as a medic to do that you can bet your ass I will. I am a top notch medic who takes the job seriously to the bone. And I assure you that if you ever need help and I was around you'd ask for me.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
He wasn't looking for an ER, he was looking for a cardiac ICU. That means he had been seen by a ER Doctor, his PCP, or a surgeon. And they called his insurance company for a pre authorization, stabilized him and them sent him to a cardiac ICU.

As for ambulances not having shock paddles, that is just BS. Every ambulance, and every police car I have ever been around since the 90's has them. I had the emergency type in my patrol truck. You open the box and read the instructions, zaps the hell out of them.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts