AL/FL: Hurricane Ivan Update

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by BCR, Sep 13, 2004.

1. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

How are the members near Mobile and the panhandle of Florida doing? Settled in safe somewhere?

Latest from NOAA:
    COASTAL FLOOD STATEMENT
    NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOBILE AL
    224 PM CDT MON SEP 13 2004

...INCREASING SURF LIKELY LATER THIS EVENING FOR THE ALABAMA
    AND WEST FLORIDA PANHANDLE COASTS DUE TO EFFECTS FROM HURRICANE
    IVAN...

HURRICANE IVAN HAS GENERATED A SERIES OF LARGE SWELLS OVER MUCH OF
    THE SOUTH CENTRAL GULF OF MEXICO. OFFSHORE WEATHER BUOYS SHOW LARGE
    SWELLS HAVE MOVED NORTH OF 27 DEGREES NORTH LATITUDE...TRAVELING
    NORTHWARD AT 30 TO 35 KNOTS. AS A RESULT LARGE SWELLS SHOULD BEGIN
    AFFECTING THE COASTS OF ALABAMA AND THE WESTERN FLORIDA PANHANDLE
    LATER THIS EVENING.

ALTHOUGH DANGEROUS SURF CONDITIONS WILL BE LIKELY LATER TONIGHT
    AND CONTINUE THROUGH TUESDAY THE RISK OF MAJOR COASTAL FLOODING IS
    NOT EXPECTED...MAINLY THROUGH TUESDAY AFTERNOON.

PEOPLE IN THE COASTAL AREAS...ESPECIALLY THOSE RESIDENTS ALONG THE
    WEST END OF DAUPHIN ISLAND...SHOULD REMAIN ALERT AND BE READY FOR
    INCREASING SURF WHICH MAY BRING MINOR FLOODING OR BEACH EROSION
    THROUGH TUESDAY AFTERNOON.

CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED TO BECOME LIFE THREATENING TUESDAY NIGHT
    THROUGH WEDNESDAY AS HURRICANE IVAN MOVES INTO THE NORTH CENTRAL GULF
    OF MEXICO.

[My emphasis]

2. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

This has me worried sick. My brother's family live in Mobile and he is supposed to fly in from Iraq today or tomorrow for two weeks R&R. Here we were so worried about him having to convoy from Mosul to Kuwait to fly out!!! Now we're worried about him being able to land in Mobile. Of course, I'm sure they'll reroute, but I hope my sister-in-law and niece are okay. I know my SIL must be a nervous wreck.

3. dot

dot Well-Known Member

I just talked to my Mother. She lives about 50 miles from Pensacola and about 20 from Mobile. No winds and only an ocasional shower at present.

4. Anniebek

Anniebek Well-Known Member

It rained today, but nothing more than a typical summer thunderstorm. I am in the process of canning everything in the freezer, washing clothes, and getting the house ready. The children are leaving tomorrow afternoon and my husband and I are leaving Wednesday morning if it looks like it will hit here. We will see tomorrow.

Anniebek

5. tambo

tambo Well-Known Member

My sister and her family live in Foley AL about 10 or 15 miles from Gulf Shores.I am worried sick about them because she said they were staying there.I tried to talk her into coming home but she says she can't because of her job.I remember they stayed one time that she said she would never stay again because she could hear the nails pulling on their roof.That was with 85 mph winds.I reminded her of that and told her this one has twice as much but I guess they are still staying.I pray they will change their minds.

6. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Looks like the path will go through with winds into Atlanta after landfall, as of now. The path can certainly change. For those of you in it, I am sending you best wishes for safe travels or staying put.

7. Raindancer

Raindancer Well-Known Member

Watching local news/weather just now, the Gov. of Alabama has issued a state of emergency, having all emergency plans ready to go if needed. Even here in S. central AL (Montgomery) folks are gearing up, not sure what to expect. DIL called a while back..went to Walmart for a few things and it was packed..folks stocking up on water, candles, other emergency supplies, and warned me to get while the getting was good if I needed anything. Walmart, supermarkets, $ type stores are all sold out of D batteries..she went store to store and none to be found. Fortunately I have I good supply of those on hand that I'll share. Will stock up tomorrow on necessities. We felt the effects when Opal came thru, and this one could be worse for us from what they say if it it stays in our path and retains it's intensity. I pray for everyones safe keeping, especially down in the gulf region!! Be safe!!!

Dee

8. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

New Orleans/southeast LA:

from NOAA this morning:

HURRICANE WATCH IS EFFECT FOR SOUTHEAST LOUISIANA AND
    COASTAL MISSISSIPPI INCLUDING THE GREATER NEW ORLEANS AREA

A HURRICANE WATCH MEANS HURRICANE CONDITIONS ARE POSSIBLE WITHIN 36HOURS. RESIDENTS OF SOUTHEAST LOUISIANA SHOULD MAKE PREPARATIONSFOR THE POSSIBILITY OF HURRICANE CONDITIONS.

IVAN IS A VERY LARGE...DANGEROUS HURRICANE. ALTHOUGH IVAN IS EXPECTEDTO WEAKEN BEFORE LANDFALL...PEOPLE SHOULD TAKE ALL NECESSARY MEASURESTO PROTECT LIFE AND PROPERTY FROM A POTENTIAL STRIKE OF A MAJOR HURRICANE.

9. Gary in AL

Gary in AL Well-Known Member

My sister works for the power company. She said they are gearing up for major outages. There forecast says it will hit us just north of Birmingham with 75 - 80 mph winds and with up to 12 in of rain. Freezers full of organic beef. Can you say bbbiiiggg bar-b-que. The bible says speak to the mountain and it will move so I'm headed outside to speak to a mountain of wind. Don't know where it will go though so ya'll that are on either side of Alabama may need to watch out. Keep us in your prayers. Gary

10. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate Supporter

I'm watching it for the winds up here in Huntsville area.
    And I think if Gary b'b'q's I'll have to help them get rid of the evidence :).

My aunt and Uncle in the Pensacola area near Sophly field, not too far frm where the inlet is that becomes a river between Al and FL - I got their street address to I could watch the tracking.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-vis-loop.html

this updated pretty regularly and you can click on the little box, for tracking and it will show pretty good how it's going. Also it moves to you can seee how it's doing.

I figure we'll get lots of rain and at least some gust of up to 40 miles or more....

there's a site that shows projected wind and rain amounts. If I find it again I'll post it here.
    (I may have found it here, or the other site I'm at a lot).

Good luck all,

AngieM2

11. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Talked to my Dad this afternoon. My brother's flight left Kuwait today and he won't be able to talk to my SIL until he gets to Atlanta tomorrow, but she was able to change his flight to Montgomery instead of Mobile because the Mobile airport has been shut down already. She hasn't decided if they'll leave or not...is going to let my brother decide when he arrives tomorrow noon.

I also have family in Brewton, AL. Haven't heard from them on their plans yet.

We're already having unusual winds from the S SE here in NW MS.

12. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

I heard on the radio this morning that New Orleans had 10,000 body bags ready. I assume they posted that to encourage residents to evacuate voluntarily. Scary thought, though, isn't it? Hopefully, it will weaken more before the first landfall. I don't know what I would have done if it had come through here. I am still exhausted from Charley and Frances and have no funds left to evacuate again. My heart goes out to everyone in Ivan's path.

13. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I hope that was to scare people but my mother told me that Lousiana dind't force evacuation because they couldn't afford it? I wonder how that is? Did Florida pay for the evacuees it forced? New Orleans is below sea level, a worst case scenario for that city is frightful indeed. In Pinar del Rio, Cuba, homes are half under water after Ivan. Pinar del Rio is at sea level.

14. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

The sad thing is that people who don't own cars or other transportation just couldn't afford to leave the area. I fear that some people are not taking this one seriously enough. They get stuck thinking "what are the odds" and take a chance we all will pay for later in the form of cleanup costs as well as health care following stupid choices by people with no insurance/financial resources. I really don't get the people who are sitting around and drinking. Sheesh!

I wanted to add that "Jeanne" is over near Puerto Rico or somewhere now and making its way north. Hard to say where but looks like Carolinas and north central Florida ought to watch that one too. You can track it and Ivan at the US naval storm tracker site as well.

15. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

From weather.com where there are several video and written journals available and updated often about folks in the area.
    Outer rainbands from Ivan moving onshore
    2:15 P.M. ET Wed.,Sep.15,2004
    Buzz Bernard, Meteorologist, The Weather Channel

Hurricane Ivan Bottom Line

Extremely dangerous Category 4 hurricane with maximum sustained winds near 135 mph as of 1 p.m. CT

Hurricane Warnings issued for the northern Gulf coast, from Grand Isle, LA, to Apalachicola, FL, including greater New Orleans and Lake Pontchartrain

Tropical Storm Warnings for Intracoastal City, La., to west of Grand Isle, and from east of Apalachicola, FL, to Yankeetown, FL.

Dangerous surf conditions, including rip currents, likely along the Gulf Coast. Rainfall accumulations of 10-15 inches, with isolated higher amounts, can be expected

The initial rainbands from dangerous Hurricane Ivan are punching onshore along the northern Gulf Coast now, and conditions will continue to steadily deteriorate into this evening. Damaging wind gusts (over 50 mph) and isolated tornadoes are likely in the stronger squalls this afternoon as the rainbands continue to spiral northward.

At 1 p.m. CDT, a buoy about 70 miles south of Dauphin Island was reporting wind gusts over 70 mph and 36-foot seas. Wind and rain will peak late tonight and early tomorrow as the eye of Ivan, still as a major hurricane, thunders ashore, probably somewhere between Gulfport, Miss., and Pensacola, Fla., before sunrise. Near and a short distance east of where the eye crosses the coast, storm surge waters will breach barrier islands and coastal lowlands.

Tide levels could equal or exceed Hurricane Frederic's (1979) in the Mobile area. If the center of Ivan were to move just west of Mobile Bay, a surge of 16-18 feet would be possible in the north end of the bay. Along the Florida Panhandle, a general surge of 5 to 8 feet seems likely. Ivan will continue to swirl inland tomorrow with the core of the storm grinding through Alabama.

Destructive wind gusts, excessive amounts of rain (10-15 inches) and isolated tornadoes will accompany a weakening Ivan as it plods northward.

16. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

We're about an hour's drive NorthEast of Birmingham just off of Hwy. 78. We're leaving our mobile home about 10 tonight. We're gonna go stay with my sister for a few days. She's got a nice, solidly built house with a decent basement that won't flood. We've got the birds in five different places, some at work, some here, some there. Sam, our beloved Pyr, is with a friend, both cats are at work.

I may lose my job over this. My boss called me today and said I couldn't close the store unless the local grocery store closes. I called them and they said they had no plans of closing, they have generators and beds for the managers. There are already power outages here (can't figure that out, yet.)

Talk to y'all once this is over and my lights work again.

17. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Daybird...thinking of you and wishing you well.

18. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Thank you. We survived the night, but it's not even here yet. It's still just South of Montgomery. It'll be on top of us tonight. I just came home for a few moments to check on the birds that we had to leave and to check email. My wife's family are all still in Romania and it's her only way to keep in touch.

God bless.

19. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Louisiana is the only state with Napolianic law (the other states derived from Old English law), so they are governed a bit differently than the rest. We had to use our own funds to evacuate Frances and may have to evacuate again due to flooding of the St Johns river. I'm to the point where I may just blow up a pool toy and float wherever it takes me! I am so grateful not to have to deal with the major rains from Ivan.

20. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

We are in Blount County about half way between Birmingham and Gadsden. We have been told that in our county if we need to go somewhere to do it before noon because they want everybody where they're going to be by noon (on Thursday)

We have shelters open all over the county in church basements for those living in mobile homes and such, but they're telling everybody to bring their food, sleeping bags, meds, water, etc. Most of the shelters will not have emergency power.

ALL the banks, public buildings and a lot of businesses are closed and all the schools are closed. OUr power keeps blinking so I'l make this short.

We have all our animals as secure as possible, have a propane cook stove, back up lights, and are basically secure. I'm going to go make some photos for the newspaper at some of the shelters and be back home well before noon. Have extra back up batteries for my police and fire scanner so I can keep up with the news.