Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Married, not dead!
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past year or so I've been thinking about getting an LGD. I don't have a serious predator problem, but since moving out here something keeps selectively picking off my *favorite* chickens. :grump: My German Shepherd does a good job of keeping unwanted critters away, but I want her inside with me at night...and that's when the predators strike. I thought it would be good to have a dog to stay outdoors with the critters at night, but since I only have one acre, and will be running a pet grooming business on my property with other dogs coming and going all the time, I wasn't sure if an LGD would be appropriate. Will one acre be big enough? Would it try to attack client dogs? Would it bark all night and annoy my neighbors?

This is Toby, an Akbash Dog. Toby used to live on acreage with a herd of goats, until his owners had to move to the city. Now he lives in a duplex with a very small yard, and is looking for a more fitting environment to utilize his skills.

His owner picked him because, even though he was raised with the herd from three weeks of age, at 1.5 years he was drawn toward people and not so standoffish as the others. She brought him home, and while he kept fox, coyote, mountain lion, and bear away from her property, he would not stay with the herd if it was too far away from the house, preferring to be close to humans. While that's not what you want for a large herd on lots of acreage, it certainly doesn't hurt if you have two goats and a small flock of poultry on one acre.

Toby loves all domestic animals and people. The kids slide down his back and use him for a pillow, and the other dogs climb all over him. He is a perfect gentleman on leash. He is not dog-aggressive at all, which seems unusual. He keeps the transients out of his owner's backyard in the city, yet he welcomes the UPS man, the mailman, repairmen, and anyone else who is supposed to be there. Good dog!

I spent a couple hours with him and his owner yesterday, and every time she thought about Toby going to a new home, she got tears in her eyes. We have to finish the gates and ensure the property is secure before taking on another dog, so it will be a bit before decisions are made, but so far he seems like the perfect kind of guy to watch over all the critters here.

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
77,678 Posts
One of my dogs is part Akbash and part Maremma. Hes a "gentle giant" as long as he knows you belong here.

Good luck with yours

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
Depends on what varmints are attacking your chickens. They will tend to strike only during certain hours, like between midnight and 2 a.m. If you put your GSD out at that time, he will be there to run off or kill the varmint. A dog behind a fence or in the house will not deter a raccoon or fox, but a dog that goes after them will. A coon that has been treed by a dog will take you off his list of places to eat.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
So, you've decided to get Toby! He seems to be a great family dog. From what you write, he's going to want to be in the house with the family. This is fine, just develope a routine where he is outside during the time your place is most likely to be visited by unwanteds.

·
Duchess of Cynicism
3,230 Posts
perhaps, if Toby really wants to be in the house at night-- if you give him a 'room' of his own-- with an open door to the property at night, he will make the patrols, return to his room, then patrol again about 30 minutes later. A neighbor's GP does that-- was incorrectly raised, in the house, now has a vestibule of sorts-- can visually check the house from his room, but goes outdoors to patrol on a very regular basis--

And, if the GSD is in the house, dogs will, at times, divide the duties-- and the dog with outdoor access will automatically get that duty...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts