Airbag deployed and car won't start

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by texastami, Nov 7, 2006.

1. texastami

texastami Zone 7B Supporter

DH rearended someone on the freeway (don't know how it happened, I wasn't there) but he did... smashed the headlight and hit the bumper - doesn't think there's damage to engine... however the airbag deployed and the car won't start....

towing it to my folks - will look at it when he gets here.... its a 1998 Ford Contour GL - it blue books for $1890 on KBB but we have much more invested in it (about $3000 worth of repairs to the transmission and engine in the last 5 years) its a good car, and I hate to have it get totalled by the insurance... I don't want to be sitting here with no car!!

I want to know if there is a button you RESET or a switch that has to be thrown.... I know the airbag will need to be replaced, but we have a $250 deductible and we don't have it right now.... can it be driven if we can start without the airbag????

anyone have experience with this? What can I do before I take it to the mechanic who already told me it will be well over $1000 repair just for the airbag!!

2. tiogacounty

tiogacounty Well-Known Member

A lot of people drive around without blown bags. The tell tale sign is that the dash and steering wheel covers are torn or missing. I wouldn't do it, but you certainly aren't alone if you chose to. On the other issue, you tripped a crash safety switch that cuts the fuel off. You need to find where it is, and reset it. Good luck

3. dagwood

dagwood Well-Known Member

You may find out that it is illegal for a licensed mechanic to reset the crash button unless a new airbag is installed.

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I am unfamiliar with that particular vehicle but I do think it has a fuel pump inertia switch. In a mishap that switch cuts the fuel pump off and the enigne will turn via the starter but will not run. Typically the switch is located in the rear behind an inside panel. There is a small round opening in the outer cover of the switch itself and the reset is accomplished by inserting a finger and pushing. Hope this helps!

5. Yankee1

Yankee1 Well-Known Member

Check for the switch above the brake pedal

6. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Ford should have a fuel pump inertia cutoff switch as others have related. Look in the owners amnual for it's location. Good chance it's in the trunk behind the trunk trim panels, might have a sticker showing where it is.

The air bag thing is up to you. They sell replacement covers to install if you don't want the air bag.

7. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Well-Known Member

Yep, fuel pump is shut down, gunna have to look for the switch.........

8. Herb

Herb Well-Known Member

+1 on looking in the trunk. It is usually on the drivers side. It is clearly marked.

9. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

I would buy a Haynes manual and use it to locate the fuel pump relay switch. You can buy air bag off Ebay. The insurance company will probably just write you a check to pay for the damage, if they do I would just replace the air bag youself.

Bobg

10. dodgewc

dodgewc Well-Known Member

Info available to me says there is an inertia switch located behind left kick panel.