Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

We are rehabbing our double-wide and part of that is changing the siding to metal roofing/siding sheets. The other part is adding gutters so that we can collect rainwater. However, I am a bit confused, I grew up in Eastern Europe and there were no "strange boxes" under the roof running the length of it "back home"! :)

I took a photo and atached it to this post - what is the function of these boxes? I am assuming they have a function and would have to stay. So, my next question is: where do the gutters get mounted? Do these boxes need to be cleaned? We have never lived in a mobile home before, I apologize for my ignorance.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
247 Posts
They are called soffits, and serve a few purposes. They cover the rafters to improve the appearance. At the base of the rafter, they typically have holes or vents cut in to allow air into the attic/rafter space. The air, as it warms, passes through the ridge vent, or other attic vent.

Regarding gutters-do you have snow? On metal roofing, the snow can avalanche off, taking the gutters with them. They make snow stoppers to prevent this, so you may need to look into those.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are called soffits, and serve a few purposes. They cover the rafters to improve the appearance. At the base of the rafter, they typically have holes or vents cut in to allow air into the attic/rafter space. The air, as it warms, passes through the ridge vent, or other attic vent.

Regarding gutters-do you have snow? On metal roofing, the snow can avalanche off, taking the gutters with them. They make snow stoppers to prevent this, so you may need to look into those.
What a nice picture, I understand now perfectly. No snow around here. The roof is shingle on a double-wide mobile home :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts