air comprssor rig up idea

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by comfortablynumb, Aug 26, 2004.

1. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

I dunno the mathmatics of it and no one around my podunk will gimme a stright answer so somewhere on this board I hope there is an engineer with the calculator...

here goes.. I have several air tanks I hade an idea to link them where I use them.
    IE; main compressor has a 100 foot line to another building where I link into a `15 gal or so air tank which with a long hose continies the chain to another building with another tank.. ect.

will this make the engine work harder or less so? or no real difference?

I mean, I have a 4 gallon compressor that is always kicking on but a 15 gal one that only kicks on every few min of use.
    so is a bigger capacity tank make for longer air time before the motor has to charge it up...and will linking a bunch of tanks together do the same or no?

just an idea, I have the tanks, if it has any benifit to chain them together.

??? :no:

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

It will take longer for the pressure to drop down to the kick on level, but it also will take the compressor much longer to bring the pressure back up to kick off level. The compressor is doing the same work, but not starting and stopping nearly as often.

3. Janon

Janon 993cc Geo Metro

I leave a couple of portable air pigs (maybe 15gals each) connected to the lines. They increase the capacity of the system when I'm not using them... and they're always full and ready to use.

cheers,

4. a little off topic but still air related.
    a fellow told me he took a small gas motor and hooked a electric motor to it by a belt to the crank to turn the motor. then took out the spark plug and attached an air line and ran to a tank and used that for his air compressor. anybody ever tried that or is he pulling my leg? i have a compressor and don't need it. but if this would work, it may be a cheap way to get 1 if you had the parts lying around. more likely to get those parts for next to nothing compared to a compressor pump.

5. BrushBuster

BrushBuster Well-Known Member

oops......above was me

6. comfortablynumb

that would be good will, when it runs now it gets kinda hot kickingon every few minutes. if nothing else it would give it time to cool off.

thanks !

7. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

When our compressor went out at a place I used to work, we ran long airhoses over to the shop and plugged in to them. Everything worked fine for days at a time til our compressor got fixed.

8. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

You're basically plumbing so the bigger the pipe joining the various resivoirs the better the flow between them. If you use small lines the compressor is going to work harder and longer filling the remote tanks. I know we've often thought of using a 4 inch pipe from the main tank along the wall with various hook up points and the pipe acts as extra capacity. I wonder if you could hook up a wind powered compresor to a large tank (like a really big propane tank) and run air tools for free.

9. daeve

daeve Well-Known Member

It'll work but you need a check valve in the air line going to the tank. You need fairly good rings and valves to get decent pressure. Remove the fuel tank and block off any lines (rtv should work fine) that went into the tank. Open the throttle all the way and make sure the choke is off. If the butterfly shaft is loose you may want to put a bit of RTV around it and the choke too to keep any unfiltered air from getting in. Clean and lightly oil the air filter and replace the crankcase oil with fresh. Remove the magneto also.

You can make a portable unit out of an old lawn mower with bad ignition or carb. Remove the blade and get a fairly large (8 to 12 inch or bigger) pulley that will fit the shaft, cut a hole in the base to mount an ac motor and fabricate a idler pulley to tension the belt. Most of the parts can be found an old washer and/or dryer. Add a tank, pressure pop-off valve and a pressure regulator control wired to the motor and you got yourself a portable compressor.

10. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I have made many homemade air compresors with 1980's Chrysler air conditioning pumps, drivenby an electric motor and useing a pressure switch standard to water pumps on wells. The pumps should run at about 900 rpms for best life and preformance and must run in the same direction as it did when engine mounted so the oil slinger works right.

The best design for an air system is when there is a loop returning to the source and there is as many accumulation areas as practical. Yes, small one cylinder engines work also. The major trailer mounted compressors - the ones that run a jack hammer is created by useing a Ford 302 engine with one bank doing the compressing.

11. Ed K

Ed K Well-Known Member

One thing to think about is losses due to leaks in all the piping. It's pretty common for a compressor/tank/hose to leak off a little air and adding long lines and extra tanks may aggravate that problem. Is what you gain in less runtime going to be offset by leakage loss?

12. comfortablynumb

I dunno... something to consider.

13. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Since the lawn mower engine is typically a 4 cycle engine you need to alter the engine to get a more efficient compressor pump. To get the gas engine to pump air on each stroke you need to consider the following......
    Mount a check valve in the spark plug hole as an outlet for the air.
    Modify the exhaust valve to where it cannot open.
    Put a very light spring on the intake valve to where the vacuum of the down stroke of the piston will open the valve.
    This will let each stroke pump air and the "air compressor" will be twice as efficient

14. Unregistered

Unregistered Well-Known Member

15. Ross

I just got an owners manual for my TO35 and it mentions a rig like this. Guess it came with the tactor, it must have had a presure release in the system some how, neat but I've never seen one.

16. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Ross,
    You ever see a PTO air compressor for a tractor?

17. Ross

Nope sounds like a good alternative to a engine powered one though. I have seen several that bolt on to the block of an engine and fill an on board tank for feild work.

18. comfortablynumb

wouldnt that fill your tire with vaporized gasoline?

19. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

my uncle found a Old vertical motor, not sure what it was off of, maybe OilFeild related, it was a "one Lung" motor, he put a check valve on it and a filter, a 16" pulley and it sounds awesome, boop boop boop boop and he has it hooked up to a Old Propane tank, works good.

we also have a late 70's Crysler AC compressor, we were going to use that, since it has two cylinders, but we got a Campel Hausfield model.

20. not stated

not stated Guest

several small tanks is like one larger tank adds ballast. You do get some line loss for every foot of pipe also every bend adds a foot or so. Be real carefull adding check valves and make double darn sure you fully understand what the efect will be as you can create a problem. also on air NEVER pipe it in pvc. having multiple compressors may or may not cause problems depends on cut in and out settings and how hard it is to start against the head pressurse involved but you could be running up the electric from starting torque. you could always take some current readings during startup and run and record them then do the same after combining units. several large plants do exactly the same thing you are considering and do use checks to prevent flowing back to the compressors when not running. Some extra pressure relief valves and guages may be in order. checks need to be between compressor and tank. each tank should have a popoff that can't be valved out. A guage on each tank is also a good idea. no checks between tanks. good luck