Air compressor tank?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by insanity, Sep 19, 2004.

1. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Hey guys im looking to buy a small portable (Husky) air compressor.But have the need for more air storage if i use it in my shop to.I have a 40gal water heater tank that i was thinking would work great.But what do you guys think?Id hate to have it blow up on me! :eek: Any idea what would be the max pressure id want to use (the compressor i was thinking about only goes to 135 anyway).Wondering if the pop off valve would work under air pressure instead of water?

Would it be a time bomb?

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I would not even consider useing such as an air tank, how much corrosion is there inside it from the original use? A regular propane tank is a much better choise, remember to place a drain near the bottom to exit the moisture build up. Water tanks are too thin to be safe in that application.

3. insanity

Its glass lined and spot less inside.I replaced it due to leaking treads on a heating element.Would have had a plug screwed in and welded.

Wondering about the thickness.The metal is at least as thick as a regular air tank.But i wasn't sure if the quality is as good.Humm a propane tank, i hadn't thought about that.Might be able to get one that they deem no longer good/safe for some reason. Or an oxygen bottle from welding supply.Humm Would take up even less space.

Thanks!

4. Head to any industrial auction, there are usually lots of faulty compressors and spare tanks... lots of black pipe to plumb it, fittings, hose as well. Everything aside from my compressor was purchased at auction.

cheers,

5. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Last several years I have used a homebuilt air compressor I got from auction for $12. The compressor itself is off an old truck that had air brakes. anyway it used an old water pump pressure tank. Never had any problem with it although cutoff was around 100psi.

The compressor is shot now and am going to replace it with York air conditioning compressor off old car. When I get around to it that is.

6. JWH123

JWH123 Well-Known Member

My father's compressor, which used to be his father's compressor, was a homebuilt one. Used what is supposed to be a train car brake air reservoir.

Last certification/inspection stamp on the tank? Dates to 1946. I don't know how long it was used before then. Finally rusted through about 3 years ago. I measured the tank once and it was about 35 gallons, more or less.

I'm not sure how many compressor pumps and motors it's had over the years, I know dad put a 2-cyl pump on it probably 15 years ago, and a new 5-hp, 220 volt motor about 10 years ago.

The more I'm learning about train braking systems the harder time I have accepting that this was a rail car brake reservoir (they usually have one tank with a divider, one side for standard reservoir, one side emergency reserve) It may have come from a railroad, but for a different function.

I'd have doubts on a water heater tank, as a pressure vessel it probably has a stamp or plate on the unit that shows the tank's working pressure and hydrostatic test pressure.

As for a welding-type oxygen tank, they really don't have much volume. I'd read up more on the propane tank conversion. I notice lots of what I thought were propane tanks at the amish places around here, the more I see them, the more I think they use them for compressed air. Their woodworking tools often run off compressed air, I think that's pretty neat. These are the long horizontal ones. I've seen two or three of them ganged together outside their shops. I believe they run a gas engine compressor to charge the tanks, Don't know how often they would have to do that with 3 large tanks....

Good luck. I like the idea to look up industrial auctions.

John

7. insanity

My grandfather used to have a home made.I think it was a car air condisioning compressor,or maybe it was a refegarater compressor i dont remmeber.But i do remmeber it was reaaaaal slow to fill anything. :D

8. golfball

golfball Member

It is very easy to build your own air compressior with old discarded washing machines - Get the electric motor from them - and you can buy new compressed air [150 Gal-300 Gal] tanks for under $100.00. Compressors are reasonable as there are several great examples put forth here concerning recycling air [Diesel Truck] and air conditioner compressors from wrecked vehicles. The washing machine motor will easily pull any compressor up to full load.

9. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

So, on my industrial full 5 horsepower compressor should the motor fail how many washing machine motors will I need for a replacement?

10. golfball

golfball Member

One.