Air Compressor Pressure Switch Supplier

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Ken Scharabok, May 2, 2006.

1. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

I have an old Sanborn 3.5 hp, 18-gal air compressor with a major leak. Seams to be coming out of the bottom of the combination on/off and pressure switch. Having problems finding a replacement part. Did a Google search on air compressor replacement parts and found five potential sources. None answer e-mails.

Anyone know of a source who at least answers the mail?

Specific part I need is: Furnas Electric Co., Series C, Cat. No. 69LM109137R, 034-0091, On 90 PSI/Off 120 PSI.

2. paden

paden Well-Known Member

Any water pressure switch could work(Not necessarily will but could).

Try your local plumbing supply store. Make sure to tell them it is for air because there are two different kinds, I just forgot what the differences are right now.

3. Ken Scharabok

I need the EXACT same part as it is an intergral part of the control mechanism.

4. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Well-Known Member

5. morrowsmowers

morrowsmowers Well-Known Member

I'd second that idea of checking with McMaster - Carr or also Grainger. If the part is that rare maybe it would be a better idea to rework the controls into seperate modules so future repairs could be accomplished easily.

Ken in Glassboro, NJ
    :)

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Snoop around here http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Furnas-HD-A...ryZ56993QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem and see if you can not find one close to the design you have. You can readjust the pressure if the rest of the makeup is the same as yours. If you would rework the electrics to where the pressure switch is controlling the coil voltage on a stater relay the unit would last longer. The start current for a 3.5 HP compressor is a lot to be sending through such a switch. Compressor loads are hard on starters.

7. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
  8. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

I did a search on google for ""Sanborn air compressor parts" and came up with this.
    [ame]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22Sanborn+air+compressor+parts%22&btnG=Google+Search[/ame]
    :cowboy:

9. Ken Scharabok

One of the Internet sellers replied the specific part number I need is obsolute and has been replaced with a modified unit. I'm ordering that one. It is a remove and replace. Cost will be about $60.

Had local hardware store do a search for me. Best they could find is a piggy-back model for about $90.

Compressor is smaller than I really need. I participated in a workshop to build an air-driven blacksmithing powerhammer. Really requires a high cfm output, such as 12 @ 90psi. My guess is the Sanborn is perhaps four cfm at 90 psi. A unit the size I need would require 220 volts - which I have available. However, I'm just not ready to go to Harbor Freight and spend $400 for a unit like that right now.

I'm 'mechanically disadvantaged' and thus don't want to try to adapt a generic pressure switch to it.

10. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Sanborn stuff is/was built about 45 miles from me. Was a good longstanding line.

Coleman (the outdoors co) bought them, kinda shook things up & a lot of stuff seems to have gone 'obsolete' the past 5 years. Wonder how much of the stuff is sitting in a warehouse? Or, went to a landfill.....

--->Paul

11. agmantoo

Ken, I am an X air compressor manufacturer employee. Let me share a bit of info if you are considering a new machine at a later date.
    1) only buy a belt drive
    2) get a 240 volt unit
    3) never believe the data on the machine. A marketing ploy is to advertise HP which is meaningless. Look at the CFM
    4) a decent machine can make nearly 4 CFM per HP, therefore a 3 HP motor on a decent compressor would give you 12 CFM
    5) Look for the pressure switch to control a starter relay
    6) an air cooled piston compressor is meant to have a 80/20 duty cycle. The machine needs to cool during the off cycle
    7) buy a cast iron compressor
    8) look at the tank an verify it is a certified ASME tank
    9) always use synthetic oil in the compressor, the valves will not carbon which is the major failure of piston pumps
    10)When you plumb your shop, as you run the pipe (no PVC, the oil damages the PVC) around the shop start high and tilt the main line to slop toward the fartherest point, at this point install a drain valve. At each point along the main run where you install a Tee put the tee in with the outlet port Up not down ( this will prevent the moisture from running into the take off line), run upward a foot or so and put in an elbow and take that as the supply to the point of use.

12. Ken Scharabok

Thank you for that advice. I've printed it out for the files.

Dumb question: Are compressors intended to lose air between usages. For example if you have a 120 psi compressor, it hit 120 and turned off, and you unplugged it, should it retain the 120 psi until the next use or bleed off slowly?

Ken

13. agmantoo

Very few compressors, especially onces that have use on them, will hold air over a long period once they are shutdown. Units that have a tank side discharge valve that can be manually closed and have a good discharge checkvalve on the exit side of the compressor head will usually hold decently. Machines that auto dump for condensation seldom hold. There are just too many potential areas from them to weep air.
    PS...line 3 in above post........ date should have read data

14. Ken Scharabok

Just to close this out. I put on the substitute pressure assembly. Still no psis. Plumbed took off pressure assembly and just put a pressure gauge in outlet. Still no psis. Took off piston head and found a drop-in sleeve about 1 1/2" long with MAJOR scoring. Scapping compressor.