Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doctors noticed two troubling things about the limp, sunken-eyed children who flooded pediatric wards across Botswana during the rainy season in early 2006: They were dying from diarrhea, a malady that is rarely fatal here. And few of their mothers were breast feeding, a practice once all but universal.

After the outbreak was over and at least 532 children had died -- 20 times the usual toll for diarrhea -- a team of U.S. investigators solved the terrible riddle.

A decade-long, global push to provide infant formula to mothers with the AIDS virus had backfired in Botswana, leaving children more vulnerable to other, more immediately lethal diseases, the U.S. team found after investigating the outbreak at the request of Botswana's government.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19905377/

So tragic that so much of the world's population is not suited for solitary monogamous relationships.

·
Enjoying Four Seasons
3,107 Posts
primroselane said:
So tragic that so much of the world's population is not suited for solitary monogamous relationships.
I didn't see anything in the article about 'monogamy'. :shrug: I have a B.A. in anthropology and many times monogamy is a cultural ideal just as it can be a societal one.

The article was about some horrible companies trying to make a profit by giving gift bags of infant formulas to mothers just after giving birth knowing full well that the mother wouldn't have money to purchase it down the road nor the clean water to mix it in.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
This has been going on for decades. Women dressed as nurses would go into hospitals and push bottle feeding as better than breast feeding. The mothers, wanting to do what was best for their babies, put their babies on formula. Unfortunatly, the formula was being mixed with dirty water. Now, the babies would have developed immunity from the pathogens in the water from their mother's breast milk, but of course did not because they were on formula. As babies get bigger, they eat more. Because the mothers were poor, they could not keep up with buying formula and cut the formula with more water, causing nutritional deficiencies.

This practiced was decried at the U.N. A U.N. resolution set to stop this fiasco, and was voted for by every nation except one: the United States. This is why I have boycotted Nestle, Nabisco, and L'Oreal for 30 years, as the parent company was one of the formula pushers who refused to stop pushing formula when they were asked to.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
there are good people and bad people in this world. but there is no corperations with any size to them that has a conscience. they only look at the dollars they can make :grump:

·
proud to be pro-choice
2,691 Posts
There is no easy answer for complex problems and I also need to add cheap/inexpensive answer for all medical problems. Sure not passing on HIV via breastfeeding had its merit but not looking at the entire picture was stupid. Dancing dollar signs for corporate america. This is why we need to tax them hard once certain gross revenue numbers are hit or execute handouts get too high. Would help mitigate the greed factor.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Nestle is the major mover behind this push for formula feeding. Every baby deserves the be breastfed. Even mothers that have HIV in Africa should breastfeed. I hate the formula business.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
In this case, the formula (Nan) was free. The problem was, delivery of the formula was sporadic and not always reliable, and the women didn't have access to clean water. The article mentions an especially virulent strain of E coli that was found in all the wells.

The worst of it is, no one has even told these mothers that their babies are dying because of the formula, or because they need to boil the water!!! They have no idea why their babies are dying!

I can't help feeling that the end goal is to have most of Africa die off one way or another.

It's easy to get jdgemental and to blame them for their own misfortune, but that isn't showing the whole picture and the fact of the matter is that we'd all die off there a lot sooner than they do.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
I don't think it's a matter of promiscuous behavior on the part of the women. These countries are at war and rape is common place. Also, I have my own ideas of how (and why)the AIDS virus was introduced there in the first place. Can we say, conspiracy theory, boys and girls. I believe a lot of what is happening in Africa is genocide.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The book "Milk, Money, and Madness" was an eye opener for me. It's more than 10 years old so this info has been around for awhile. I wasn't aware that these sort of practices were continuing nowadays overseas. Don't think it couldn't happen here. Our society has become conditioned to thinking that formula feeding is just as good. How many of you were sent home from the hospital with samples and/or coupons for formula when your babies were born?
jmmac

1 - 10 of 10 Posts