AI'd my first cow today.

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by unioncreek, Sep 17, 2005.

1. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

I started taking an AI class at Washington State University in August. I'm able to take it with a fee waiver since I work for the USDA on campus and they consider us staff. I only have a few longhorn cows and no room for a bull. The All West Select Sires rep came through last week so I bought 5 straw of an Angus bull. I wasn't really going to try AI'ing them this soon, but thought what the heck. And the one that came into heat was the wild one of the bunch able to jump a 6 foot panel. I finally got her in the chute and everyone came out to watch. It took about 10 minutes to get the gun passed and deposit semen in both horns. Now all I have to do is wait for 24 days to see if she comes into heat.

Bobg

2. NRS Farm

NRS Farm Well-Known Member

Congrats. I tried AI years ago as well. In my case I had Angus Cows and an Angus bull. I used Herford semen so I could tell if it was the bull or AI. Got a black baldy. As the herd grew I found less time to observe and AI the cows. But I still give it a try once in a while. Good luck with AI.

3. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Is AI tricky? It is one thing I need to learn someday, especially if a cow comes into heat, its after call hours and I want to get her bred then, vs that morning.

Jeff

4. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

It's not hard once you get the hang of it. I was having a heck of a time passing a gun one day, so I asked one of the TA's for suggestions. That was at the end of the day so I couldn't try his suggestion out. When I AI'd mine I tried it and it worked well. The deciding factor may have been that my cow was cycling and the one's in class aren't. For me it's an economic choice since I don't have enough cows or land to warrant having a bull, plus the $50 that the local guy wants to come out and AI. When I feel competant to do it for others I will not be charging as much as him. And there are quite a few people around that only have a few cows and no bull.

Bobg

5. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Here is another option when you know how to AI. You own a tank, you stock semen, perhaps semen someone wants. You go out to AI that persons animal, and you aren't part of some big company like Select Sires, Genex etc. Also, depending on your day to day life, you could either run a deadline for people to call in by, or simply have someone call in and state when they want you. I don't have enough farms near here to do that, and the neighbor I doubt would let me do it even if I knew how. The other handy thing with knowing how to AI, you could double breed at your time. For example, 6am and 6pm, for those hard to get heifers or cows.

Jeff