Ai

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Farmgirl8388, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Farmgirl8388

Farmgirl8388 Active Member

Hey yall,
    Kinda a tired of typing, well anyway. I have asked this all across the animal threads, Have you heard of AI being used in cows, and if so have you used it yourself. I know that some use this , to impregnat their cows, but have you , and again have you used it.
    THanks LYN

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I had a bull named Elmer, but never had one named AL.

3. Farmgirl8388

Farmgirl8388 Active Member

IT is A I and it means Artifical Insemenation, i was just curious to see who uses it.
    Thanks lyn

4. trickham

trickham Well-Known Member

We have used it throughout the years, as recently as this year.

Nick

5. Valmai

Valmai Well-Known Member

I have not used it on any of my girls,but have worked on dairy farms where it is widley used. It is a very common practice over here. What exactly do you want to know. You have to be aware and record when your cows are in heat and have the technician or vet lined up to come out at the appropriate time. Cant remember off hand how long they remain fertile for. (I think its somewhere around 24 hrs) They cycle every 3 weeks. If you can get training you could learn to do it yourself. Provided you have long strong arms. :D Start by talking to a local vet.

6. evermoor

evermoor Well-Known Member

Yes we AI almost everything on the farm and only use a bull as the last resort before giving up. I know this is wideky used in Sheep, hogs, goats horses and turkeys. For extra credit in college we collected from most of these species and all I can say is that collecting the boars was very memorable experience that I never forget(trying hard to forget it) Evidently they only release the stuff from a rythmatic squeeze on their corksrew manhood.

7. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

We've been using AI here almost exclusively since 1947. In the last 3 years we've used bulls from Canada, US, England, Holland, Italy and Germany.

8. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Never heard of Turkey AI, lol that has to be a special profession. Anyways, AI is used on most dairy farms and other farms as well. Some people use bulls and even some farms have several bulls in with their cows to get them, and yes a bull will compete ive seen it. If your breeding a pure bred heifer, I suggest AI, otherwise see if someone will rent you their bull, some people do that. I would look for a hereford, they are gentle. Jersey bulls can be very snotty.

Jeff

9. Horace Baker

Horace Baker Well-Known Member

I have done some AI over the years, even took a course so I can do it myself. I have a tank I keep charged and have had a couple of bulls collected. But now I just use bulls for the convenience. If I get a little ahead someday, I'll do a little more AI, there are some matings I'd like to do that I can only now do AI. I'll need some practice, though.

10. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

Jeff
    Welcome to the world of livestock freaks. I think at this time 100% of the comercial turkeys in the us are bred AI :eek: They have bred for growth, shape and breast size and it is almost a physical imposability to breed naturaly.They used to sell turkey saddles for the hens so they did not break down during breeding but I don't know if they are still available. Try not to think about this when you eat the holiday bird :D
    Mr Wanda
    Mike

11. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

We AI regularly on our small dairy farm. That is how we introduced the Norwegian Red genetics into our herd. WE have also used herd bulls and clean-up bulls. Herd bulls from wonderful cows who didn't have many daughters. We used two herd bulls out of one dam (only used the second one for a short while because he had nieces in the herd, he was sent to another farm). Our two most recent herd bulls have been El Tigre and Jsaon. El Tigre's mother died after he was born from toxic mastitis and he was big and a crossbreed (1/2 and 1/2) so we kept him for breeding.

But we mostly AI with the top Jersey bulls available. Usually split straw if we can as well.
    I am probably going to learn how to do the AIing myself soon, but for now another farmer comes over when we call. Luckily we have semen collected from an earlier bull of ours (Pearl, he had over 20 daughters when he was here) to try it out with.

I believe the usual heat lasts around 8-12 hours.

I know AIing in goats is becoming fairly regular practice, especially in show herds.

12. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Do they use a turkey baster?! :haha:

Seriously though ... AI is used extensively in dairy. My boss taught me how; it's not difficult. If you can find a technician to do your cows, see if he or she will teach you how to do it yourself. Here's a good website that will teach you the basics:

http://www.iaea.org/programmes/nafa/d3/public/ai-cattle-web/links/links.html

13. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

We really preferred to AI the cows because bulls can be unpredictable. And they eat a lot.

We sold our dairy herd last year. But we had the technician come out and AI some of our beef heifers that the clean-up bull missed. (Which was too bad ... we borrowed him from a friend of DH's and this bull looked really type-y. But the heifers did not cycle at the right time. Anyway ...)

Using AI the bulls are screened for a lot of health issues, and their daughters have been tested for production. Although we used a lot of young sires.

Some bulls are even advertised as a good out-cross for so-and-so (the hot bull of two years ago) daughters.

Hope that helped.

Ann

14. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Are these californian silicon birds? Couldn't resist with the breast size part ;).

Jeff