Ai?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by longhorngal, Nov 24, 2006.

1. longhorngal

longhorngal Well-Known Member Supporter

Can anyone point me to some information about AI? I have a Saanen doe I keep changing my mind about whether or not to breed her... She's my only big goat and she's still giving plenty of milk.The pygmys I don't want to breed really. So just thinking about her. Anyway, I wonder about AI, of course I don't know how to do it but I see semen posted for sale so I'm curious about it. Would I buy some and my vet would do it or how does that work exactly?
    Thanks,
    Cara

2. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Semen is frozen. When you order it online, it will come in a temporary holding tank - generally you pay a deposit and then pay to have the tank shipped back. The place you have it sent to needs to also have a tank. My vet doesn't AI, there is a couple in my area who do it and own their own tank. If you don't have your own tank and don't do it yourself, it can be quite spendy, the straws, the shipping costs, the tank space rental, and the cost of having someone AI for you can easily approach the price of a good buck. Check around your area, feed stores, livestock auctions, for someone in your area who does it and see if they have semen in their tank already. It's not hard to learn to do, but it's not something you want to read a book and try - better to get someone experienced show you how. The equipment isn't expensive either, but a tank can run several hundred dollars.

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Cara, visit dairygoatinfo.com the gals are always talking about AIing on there, a tank is for sale right now in the 4sale section, and AI equipment is bought and sold on there also. Just ask they love to talk about it :) Vicki

4. longhorngal

longhorngal Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping I could just buy a straw and have my vet do it. Looking for something easy :) . I may end up just buying a buck.

Cara

5. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

6. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

longhorngal not trying to bust your bubble but I would spend money on a nice healthy buck before doing AI-ing. Why do you wonder? I was thinking of AI-ing a few of my does but after I got into reading on having to have a tank all types of supplies and buy the neigure for the tank. Some tanks run from 150 bucks on up. Buying the semen of a great goat bloodline can be high yes they some can be as low as 5 bucks but you have to purchase close to 10 or 15 before they will ship and then the shipping cost is high. There was one company I talked to said the shipping would run me 100 bucks for the semen and all other stuff you have to have. By the time I added all mine up it was going to cost me a good 400 bucks or little over so I decide against. Went and got me a buck for my pgymy and later will purchase me somemore bucks for my bigger goats.

Good Luck on what you decide. :)

7. kerrinatoz

kerrinatoz Well-Known Member

ok, this is a great topic and one that I've been wondering about myself. I have two does that are sisters (two of six) so I wanted to get two different bucks since we are just starting our herd with these two does. It seems that you can get really excellent quality genetices to what seem like bargain prices to me. I mean with everything straws, shipping, tank it adds up to be about half what a good buck would be. Of course, I would still need to store and apply so I'm sure it would be about the cost of maybe one buck. Am I missing something, I'm a newbie so I'm probably oversimplifing....but it seems like a good deal to me. Also, does anyone how many straws are you supposed to apply? What is the general guideline? I was figuring about 5 straws per doe during heat cycle, any idea if this is in the ball park??

Kerrin

8. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

The farm where I first bought my sheep does a lot of AI, but they have a Vet who specializes in it come to the farm to do it. They also do a lot of embryo flushing, which is more of a surgical procedure. They have a flock of about 700 Dorpers

Id just buy a Ram even if I wasnt going to keep him. It will be much cheaper in the long run

9. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

If one straw doesn't work, 5 won't either :) You use one straw per heat cycle. I do think AI is more for the seasoned breeder, mostly because I think it's hard for new folks to track heat cycles, and know what normal heat, standing heat etc. is, let alone different stages of mucous in the vagina. Now a good AI queeen like Kaye White can teach anyone to AI. But even those who AI have good bucks as back up because not all does are good cadidates for AI. And AIing virgin does is not a newbie skill.

But like anything in goats, if you have a passion to learn it do it, don't let anyone tell you it can't be done. But learn from folks who do it successfully. Find a good used tank, buy exactly the AI equipment that the person who is teaching you uses, make sure you have a local supplier of nitrogen and go for it. Vicki

10. kerrinatoz

kerrinatoz Well-Known Member

Great thanks for that advice!! These are of course untested unseasoned does and I had not considered that aspect of the issue. I do think I could track heat cycles and all but the question is do I want to try to learn that and take a chance that we didn't get pregnant that season. Well thanks so much for the advice, maybe we will have ti wait until we get two bucks afterall.

Kerrin