AI pigs *sigh* question

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Milkwitch, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Milkwitch

Milkwitch Well-Known Member

I am haveing the darnest time with this sow! I can not get her to stand. All the advice I have gotten so far depneds upon THAT. (figures the only thing I can'nt get right) Last heat she would not stand. I figured I was to late in the heat and had missed the standing bit. This time she showed signs of standing so I dashed over (30 miles) and got more seman. Well I did everything just like I was advised, but she flat would not stand still. she walks all over the place and even put her butt on the floor. so I figured it was not time...... repeat 3 days twice a day. :Bawling: :flame:
    last evening she had a bit mucusy discharge.
    Does the discharge mean it is past standing heat?
    Could it be because she has never had a boar?
    What can I do? what can I try?
    this has cost me 50 bucks already!

2. Tana Mc

Tana Mc Well-Known Member Supporter

Are you sitting on her? She needs some weight or pressure on her back for her to "stand". If she is still restless, my hubby will squirt a bit on her nose and the smell will usually cause her to be more still while he props on her to to the actual AI.
    Tana Mc

3. jersey girl

jersey girl Well-Known Member Supporter

Have someone lay on her back and rub her right behind the front legs. It looks strange, but we have a duroc that would only stand with about 150 pounds of weight on her back and hard rubbing on both sides behind her front legs. Also, have you had her long and are you the only one working with her? I had a sow that was very jealous of everyone in the household and would not stand if anyone was even outside. Good luck

4. RedHogs

RedHogs Well-Known Member

All farms need a simple chute, 6x2x3 out of simple lumber with slide doors on both ends, 1/2 height on the back for AI work. Alot of sows will never stand but in the chute you can take you time, then you can do all you bloodwork, medicating, and ear tagging safely in seconds.

5. theporkstork

theporkstork Well-Known Member

Whenever you try to inseminate a gilt or sow, you need to mimmick what a boar would do to stimulate a "standing" response. Nudge her in the flank with your foot, massage her vulva, and slowly apply weight to her back. As far as the discharge that you saw, in most instances, this discharge will appear a few hours before she reaches the "standing" stage of her estrus cyle. Be sure that when you insert your insemination spirette that her cervix locks down on the tip, telling you that she is in the proper stage of her estrus for insemination. Gilts will usually "lock" down for 12 to 24 hours and sows for 24-36 hours. Be sure that your inseminations are at least 10 hours apart.

6. Milkwitch

thanks y'all. That is just the kind of info I needed! It is long past the discharge now, so I will have to try again next heat! I think the chute is very high on the to-do list before next one. This one HAS to work or she is bacon!
    I have semon now that is wasted. Would it help to put some around her pen to get her used to the smell?

7. RedHogs

the chute is necessary because if the doses are expensive the sow knows not to stand just to be funny!

8. Milkwitch

Is there some reason there would be a light bloody show half way between heats?
    It is now 12 days from last bloody show from heat. She has light bloody show this morning, slight swellling .......

9. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

We have had girls never stand at all. They go away... They usually taste pretty good.

10. RedHogs

Before you cull her, has she every had a real strong heat, any boar stimulation.... Is your weather very cold??? I would try a shot of P.G. 600 ($8) and then another 24 days later...right before she would be due again assuming a 4 day window. If you like the sow, and plan on A.I. breeding in the future use her a learning tool. I've never had to cull a nonbreeding gilt or sow. Once your learn a few tricks you will never be stumped again.
    HOW OLD???
    HOW MANY LITTERS???

11. Milkwitch

I am glad you wrote that...because I had decided to pork her as soon as I get a shooter. she has never seen a boar. she is 1 and 1/2 year old. she has had good heats as far as I know of it, but she will only ever stand for a few seconds. Of course the cows are the only ones to ever mount her so she probably thinks it is a cow game.
    the weather has been as cold as 0 F. but only a few nights and she is in a large but comfy closed area. Weather HAS been very erratic, it is 40 f tonight. She has never has a litter.
    As it is now I have 70$ sunk into this AI and it is not looking good. I simply can not afford to carry her if she will not litter in the spring-ish.
    I have tried three times and she will not stand. there was mucus stage this am so I put her in a make shift chute and got the line of semen into her. she would not stand so I put corn to keep her busy. the tube did seem to grab hold ( it did spiring back) but she was not drawing the fluid. I kept pressure on the bottle till it was gone. There was a lot of leakage removing the tube. I did the second line this evening.

the only thing I can think of that may have caused her problems was this summer we accidently (DD assumed the jelly waste were for her)fed her chokecherry seeds, quite a few too. She was pretty sick for a while. I got a few pkgs of Exlax into her and she finally came out of it. I have made sure she had green grass and now hay, to help clean her system. I am wondering if it cause more damage than I thought.
    anyhow is it normal for the semen to leak out?
    This is so frustrating I could weep.

12. RedHogs

I don't think you got her, the tube should lock and hold.... it is best to let it stay for awhile till she relaxes (they never tell you that). The angle is important and just takes practice. I know its frustrating, is borrowing a boar and option??? I wouldn't try any more AI without a hormone injection and as money is a factor maybe she should be sausage---- but get another gilt. I'm confident you could get her bred eventually but at what cost is it worth keeping her....You can decide that. I have one sow, MEAN ..... hard breeder, bad momma, destroys the barn, will decide she doesn't like a companion and demands the sow be removed or else she will make me unhappy. That sow will die here, even if I have to inject her twice to get one good heat....All the others, culled ofter one or two hard breedings.

13. Milkwitch

thanks RedHogs for being supportive I really need it. From what you have said I do think the last one set in better, well at least better than the first, as I did notice the angle of to tube. and it seemed much more firmly there. Any how is there any way to guess if it did work?
    like will she still bleed off? or just have to wait till next heat?
    No chance of boar, that is how I got into this in the first place. People in this area do not seem to be at all communal. Everyone does their own thing and probably would not kill you, but anything else goes! is P.G. 600 the hormone injections? I will check the co-op to see if they have it. It will probably be twice the price here. we'll see.
    If it is at all possible I will get another gilt and try again.
    I do like this pig she is not very destructive, only if she is very board, as long as she gets to run around a bit and check what all the rest of the animals are doing she is fine, and she is not mean at all, though I never fully trust her. She is after all a very big pig. Any how thanks again.