AI Equipment

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by linda in se ny, Dec 5, 2006.

1. linda in se ny

linda in se ny Well-Known Member

We've been considering breeding our gilt. I looked up a few place to order semen but what about the eqipment you need to inseminate? Are there any catalogs for this? I only get Jeffers and didn't see anything.

2. Tana Mc

Tana Mc Well-Known Member Supporter

The semen comes in a bottle so all that you really need is the AI rods and maybe some lubricant. We don't use any because some of them are spermacidal..... not good if you want pigs ....
    I have a whole big box of AI rods that were given to us. My hubby prefers another brand simply because that is the kind that he has "always" used. If you would like for me to send you a package ( I think that there are 10 to package), I would be happy to for just the shipping costs.
    That offer goes to any one else that would like to try. The box is just going to sit here.......
    Tana Mc

3. myheaven

myheaven Well-Known Member Supporter

tana what type of rods are they. Ill be aiing my gilt soon and need rods. I only have one girl. Thank you for your information.

there are lots of places to order ai equipment you just have to put in hog or swine ai equipment. Good luck.
    Beth

4. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

usually the boar studs you order the semen from will sell you the rods. We like the white spirrettes. But be careful. The one's we got from PBS didn't have the closure's on the end like the one's I get from the boar stud or mini tube. Mini Tube has a web page. It has ALL of the AI supplies you would need.

5. linda in se ny

linda in se ny Well-Known Member

Thanks Tana, I really appreciate the offer but my husband found them in pbs and ordered them, now buckshotboers says that's a bad idea oh, well , I guess we'll find out. Which rods did you prefer?

6. Tana Mc

Tana Mc Well-Known Member Supporter

To all of you who have contacted me privately--- I haven't forgotten! LOL! I haven't had a spare moment to run into town to buy someof those shipping tubes or check on the cost of shipping. I spent most of the last two days making a long distance trip to pick up some new boars. I had hoped that the snow would melt while I was gone but no luck there. We are still slogging thru snow and slushy mud, making chores a nightmare!
    I promise that I will get it done before the weekend is over!
    Tana Mc