AHHHHHH!!! Have anyone seen this weird animal?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Milking Mom, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Something is steadily stealing my chickens and clearing a 5' fence, not digging under it and leaving no signs at all other than my hen count is decreasing. In may I had 23 hens and today I have 14. :( Whatever it is, it is smart enough to avoid traps.
    Below are some links to some kind of strange animal they found in Texas.
    This thing is just SCAREY !!! :eek:

this is the link to the one from earlyer this year http://www.woai.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=EBC8FC7B-ED5D-46A5-8DA4-3C6F6C31975E and this one is to the one from a few days ago http://www.woai.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=E69839B5-5E04-45C5-9027-5CB484EBA2F4

2. churchwidow

churchwidow Member

A hungry neighbor, maybe? :haha:

If you find out I'd like to know, because I'm trading in my goats for chickens . . .

Could it be a predatory bird? Hawks etc. will take chickens.

Mary A.

3. WolfSoul

WolfSoul Well-Known Member

I have 5' no climb fence for my horses. I saw chicken feathers in my field (I don't have chickens, but my neighbor does.) One night, I was looking out my kitchen window when I saw a huge stray cat run up to the bottom of the fence, climb it like it was a ladder, hop off the top, land neatly on the ground and run right across the pasture towards my neighbor's (last) chicken. Can't say if that's what's happening with you, but it's a thought.

4. kjerckie

kjerckie Well-Known Member

If it's possible, spread sand around the outside of the pen. A critter standing there to jump the fence will leave prints.

5. Oregonsparkie

Oregonsparkie Well-Known Member

If this is happening regularly, you can buy a video camera fairly cheap. Some of them are wireless. It records to your VCR. I would use a motion light which would trigger the camera so you are not recording for nothing.

6. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you have a 'hot' wire on top of you pen? My first defense would be to try to prevent what is happening..An opposum was robbing my dad's coop --Dad thought it was someone.. Sat in the barn one night and found the largest Possum he had ever seen sneaking in at one o'clock.. Shot him. The "disappearing act" came to an end..