Ahhh! The WONDERFUL pig.

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by bearkiller, Apr 2, 2004.

1. bearkiller

bearkiller Well-Known Member

Couldn't resist throwing this out for all you novice pig people. I started on a homestead in the 60's when I was in college. The people who introduced me to the life proved to be among my closest friends. At the time my bride was pregnant and our friends (known affectionately as Duck and Drake) also were expecting their first kid. At the time both of these ladies were near term so had very large bellies to cope with.

But D&D had two hogs that they had raised from weaners. One went to a custom killer and was turned into freezer meat. The other turned out to be problematic. It had been purchased as a boar pig, and had not been castrated because it was cryptorchid...one testicle retained in the body cavity. They just kept waiting for it to descend, but it never did.

Finally Blackie was up to slaughter weight, but D&D did not want to eat him because he was a boar. So after much discussion we four got together to gang up on Blackie. Drake and I went over the fence, got a hand on a back leg of a hastily retreating 250 lb boar, flipped him over, and jumped on for the ride. Drake had hold of the back legs and got his weight on the back end. I was the lucky one who got to "contain" the front end and Blackie got me with my best wrestling holds on his neck and ear.

Thus restrained, Duck contributed her bulk to Blackie's middle...let me tell you there was not much room for any of us to wriggle. Reddie (my bride) got busy on Blackie's back end with my sharpest skinning knife, slit the scrotum, got hold of a VERY large testicle, and gave a huge pull, solving the "problem".

During this whole episode, of course, Blackie was screaming bloody murder at the assault. We all were pretty well deafened. At a call from Reddie we all jumped clear and Blackie stanggered to his feet and stared at us with a great amount of surprise on his face. After all he had been treated very kindly by D&D all his life. He promptly walked away to the far end of his pen and began his recovery. And probably sulked for a while!

As soon as Blackie had healed up and well recovered D&D loaded him up in their truck and took him to the local auction barn where he was sold for a premium price as a market hog. Sure glad I did not get in on the eating end of that one.

So the lessons here include: pigs purchased as weaners and raised with care and attention to their well being are not likely to be mean and nasty. Also, look out for what you buy at those auction barns. And lastly, now about 35 years later we still laugh like hell about the show.

So raise those pigs, treat them well, don't be afraid of them, but respect them, and enjoy the wonders they will gift to you. I have enjoyed each and every pig I have raised in all those years.

bearkiller

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

That's why I have small pigs and don't bother castrating

3. mtfarmchick

mtfarmchick Well-Known Member

My pigs will be casterated before I get them. Their teeth and tails are being trimmed too. I guess that's cheating but I wouldn't have it any other way :D

4. barbarake

barbarake Well-Known Member

I must say that you have a heck of a wife. I hope you treasure her!!!