Ahhh... The Faith To Go On (for Texans)

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by chickflick, Jul 26, 2004.

1. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Anyone ELSE enjoying the respite from the searing heat of last couple of weeks? I Looooooovvvvvveeeee it today!!! It gives you the faith to go on... knowing in 8 or so weeks, we'll all be able to breathe outside once again. This weather is like "Christmas in July'!! A true "Gift"!! :worship:

2. Chickadee_42us

Chickadee_42us Well-Known Member

:worship: In total agreement! This 'cold' front was/is much appreciated. You know it makes you hungry for October.... We rode horses yesterday and the breeze was really refreshing!

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

It's been WONDERFUL up here. Got out and mowed the yard. Been too hot to do it for several weeks. Near a foot high in some spots! Now if it will just stay cool long enough to get a coop built for those chickens.....

4. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

The high temp of 80 had to be a new record low (high temp) for Dallas yesterday. It was great, since we usually are in the 100's this time of year. I was thinking.....STATE FAIR WEATHER! :cool:

5. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Its barely gotten to 75 last couple of days, cloudy and down right cold at night. In the 50s. I had to put on a sweater at the Demolition Derby at the Fair Saturday night. Highly unusual for end of July in Central Illinois, but Im not complaining.

6. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

It's great! It was 68 in central Texas this morning! It's normally 105-110 during the day this time of year before the heat index, but what's with this "cold" front? It made it to the low 90's today. Unbelievably cool. It felt so good out! I spent a good part of the day outside with my goats. They enjoyed the cooler day too. We are expecting some showers...sure like hearing that. It doesn't really get cool here til November. Our first freeze is often in December or January. (Sometimes it's our last). Can't wait for my fall garden! Need to get my seeds and plants ready soon. My garden isn't ready though! It still has a few things lingering in it.

7. texican

texican Well-Known Member

I woke up tired...got up, went to feed the chickens...Hmmmm...came back inside and looked at the date, thought I might have slept through August and part of September.

I was able to catch up on a lot of 'bare sun' work...stuff I'd been putting off, because it's too hot out in the bare naked sun.

I was starting to get nervous, about two p.m. .....remembered telling people it'd be a cold day in July before I did something or other....and it was pretty dang cool, compared to last weeks microwave sessions...

8. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

I've gotten more done in the last two days than in the previous 2 weeks because I didn't have to come in at 10 or 11 in the morning and wait until 6 or 7 in the evening to go out. I worked in a steel mill about 23 years ago in the summer and got sick from the heat. Now I have to be careful not to get too hot working outside. Really upsetting for a boy that grew up in a Texas cotton field working from before sunup till sundown.

9. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

We also had a record low high yesterday, in the lower 80's. What a nice breath of fresh air. We're supposed to be 80's the next couple of days. I had ds bring the hoe up from the barn for me this morning, thinking about cleaning out a few garden rows for fall.
    mary

10. OD

OD Well-Known Member

The low yesterday was 61 & the high 78. I'm about to freeze!!!

11. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

:haha: :haha: yep, dh got a kick out of me needing a quilt last night.lol.

12. shelbynteg

shelbynteg Well-Known Member

Folks, the front stopped short of Houston, and boy is it ever July :waa: . I'm feeling just a wee bit of envy reading about everyone's delight and productivity and sheer joy in the weather. I'll bet some of your dairy goats even start cycling...
    So, down here its 92 today, 93 tomorrow, etc., etc., etc.

Hot and Humid in Houston,

13. TXlightningbug

TXlightningbug Well-Known Member

:worship: Popping out the front door at 4:30 AM and whooping as my toes dance on cold cement...Yep! I'm happy! :yeeha: Give me a July like this any year! :D Oh, How I love it! So does my cat! He's been playing like he's a kitten again! :haha: Give me more! Give me more!
    TXlightningbug :yeeha: :yeeha: :yeeha:

14. OD

OD Well-Known Member

I got this in an email today & this seems like an appropriate place for it.

A Poem for Texans
    > >
    > > Bless this house, oh Lord, we cry,
    > > Please keep it cool in mid-July.
    > > Bless the walls where termites dine,
    > > While ants and roaches march in time.
    > > Bless our yard where spiders pass
    > > Fire ant castles in the grass.
    > > Bless the garage, a home to please-
    > > Carpenter beetles, ticks and fleas.
    > > Bless the love bugs, two by two,
    > > The gnats and mosquitoes that feed on you.
    > > Millions of creatures that fly or crawl,
    > > In Texas, Lord, you've put them all!
    > > But this is home, and here we'll stay,
    > > So thank you Lord, for INSECT SPRAY!!