Ahh Ticks!!

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by quailkeeper, Apr 22, 2005.

1. quailkeeper

quailkeeper Well-Known Member

What can I do for my little lamb? She is a barbado and has a tick problem. I noticed that she was not quite so spirited today so I caught her and found little knots under her front arm pits and a couple of them had ticks attached. When we squeezed the knots pus and blood came out. I've never seen a knot this big from a tick bite but on each one I could see where the tick had been attached. I have been using liquid seven on my cow to control them, is it safe to use on this lamb? It is the same as seven dust only in a liquid form and I dilute it more than the instructions say. She will be three weeks old next Monday. None of my adult ewes have ticks, I'm guessing lanolin?

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I've only ever used a powder on small lambs because I wanted to be very considerate of their small body mass and the toxic nature of any of these tick insecicides. Once they hit 25 pounds I used the Delice pour on.

3. quailkeeper

What kind of powder can you use? She is a first time lamb and only weighs about 15lbs. I'm glad I asked first

4. luvrulz

luvrulz Well-Known Member Supporter

We have alot of ticks and find that our guineas help keep the population down on the ticks. The guineas are free running and have the option to go where ever. We haven't found any on olur critters except the border collie. You might want to raise up some guineas for future control.....

5. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I just used a grocery store flea and tick powder for dogs and cats.

6. quailkeeper

Actually we have about a dozen guineas that are free range. They either can't keep up or aren't doing their job.
    Thanks Ross!! I'll see what I can find.

7. ONThorsegirl

ONThorsegirl Fergusons Family Farm

Could you use Dri-kill to kill the ticks, we haven't had problems on lambs but I know the Dri-kill works for cattle, or adult sheep. We use Ivermec drench on our ewes and older lambs and rams.
    Melissa

8. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Are we talking about sheep ticks or regular ticks here??

9. quailkeeper

We call them deer ticks here. They get on people, the dogs and cows. None of my adult ewes have any just my one poor little baby :(

10. len

len Well-Known Member

Did the Ivermec drench work 100% for you wrt ticks? I had a few survivors, not many but a few. Did you use recommended rate? Repeat after xx days?
    thanks,

I HATE ticks!!!