"Ah, love those fresh green onions from the garden.

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by r.h. in okla., Dec 18, 2004.

1. Yep, you heard me. Newly picked fresh green onions right out of my garden, in December. Won't last much longer tho since it is getting even colder down here.

I don't know how green onions grow in everyone elses state but here in N.E. Oklahoma I plant a great big square patch of them in the spring time. I plant way more than I can eat during the late spring/early summer time. I do this cause I know that they will die back during the extreme hot summer time and will pop up out of the ground again in the fall. And that's not all, after fall what I haven't eaten will die back again only to pop up again in early spring. So come spring while I'm planting a new big patch of onion bulbs I will be already eating the last few from last years garden.

Try this method if you like green onions.

2. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

If you plant multipliers, you can have green onions at least 8 months out of a year. The big Catawissa and Egyptian topset type onions will more than keep one supplied with onions from April to December here. Once you have a patch of those going, they can be available as long as the ground isn't frozen.

There's also I-itoi multipliers which will produce an abundance of scallions early in the spring and then go dormant during the hot summer. When the bulbs are lifted and planted back, they start over for a fall crop which goes on until the ground freezes.

Heritage Sweet multipliers are somewhere in between those two. Although they produce topsets, they will produce a dozen or more scallions from each bulb.

I have all 3 and never thought that one could ever tire of green onions. Yes you can!

Martin

3. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

How do you keep up with the weeds when they go dormant?

4. Paquebot2

Paquebot2 Guest

What weeds? Haven't seen one in years other than the thousands of volunteer vegetables! Never allow a weed to go to seed and you will eliminate them in 7 years.

With the I-itoi, it's not a problem if you read that reply carefully. As soon as the plants go dormant, the bulbs are lifted and no longer in the ground. At that time, the soil is worked up and some compost added. The bulb clusters need only "cure" for a week or so, just long enough for the roots to dry out. Then they are divided and planted right back again. Given one good drink, they are off growing again. Their growth rate is so rapid that there are two complete growing cycles in a single year in our short Wisconsin growing seasons. In parts of the Southwest and California, they can almost complete 3 cycles in one year.

Supposedly, one can start with a single I-itoi bulb and harvest 120 green onions in one year and save but one to start the next year. For me, I get up to a dozen plants from a single bulb. If those are all planted back, one can indeed have over 120 by fall. Until a few years ago, only one or two Seed Savers Exchange members offered them. An obscure Native American seed company also had them. Now that word is out about them, there's a waiting list a mile long for those who want any extras that we may have.

Martin