Agricultural Identification Survey

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mike, Jan 9, 2007.

1. mike

mike Well-Known Member

I got a 2006 agricultural identification survey in the mail today, has anyone else got one? It says that you are required by law to answer the survey and return it. It was sent by the NATIONAL AGRICULTURAL STATISTICS SERVICE.
    Does anyone know just what this thing is? :shrug:

2. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

Its a leagal document that you MUST fill out so that rich commodity traders can take advantage of you.
    acorrding to the last one I filled out I raise 2000 acres of coconuts on my 120 acre farm! and thats only one of my crops.(I cant wait to see the crop off my 200 acres of ranched frogs)

3. Jean

Jean Well-Known Member

We got one too. It is my understanding that the questions that they ask you are for income crops and livestock only. I answered it but what we use for our individual use is none of their business. They pretty much got a blank survey. This is only my opinion. I do think one could deline answering it. You might be contacted several times but I don't think it is against the law to decline.

4. Old Vet

Old Vet In Remembrance

Yep! It is a survey of what you grow and how much you make from it. It goes to the Agriculture department and they use the information to make a guess at what is out theire.

5. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Sounds like those livestock "surveys" some people got in the mail a while back...they didn't know it until later, but the data was entered in the National Animal ID System.

I'd do some digging and find out if you really are required to fill it out...sometimes those forms say they're mandatory when they actually aren't. :nono:

6. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

Well...I can understand someone not wanting to fill the survey out.....I don't care to fill mine out... I'm just small scale.. I can even understand someone refusing to fill it out.. But why lie on the forms? why BS with it?
    And everyone here knows that you can't ranch frogs under coconut trees...the loss is far to heavy to be profitable.....

Here's there website.... http://www.nass.usda.gov/

FM, If your running for king...make it burger king and you have my vote :p

7. SpringCrkAromas

SpringCrkAromas Well-Known Member

Ours is in the compost pile. If it was required by law to be retuned, they should have sent it certified mail. Otherwise, how do they even know you received it.
    Jill

8. barnyardfun

barnyardfun Happy Homemaker Supporter

I got one today too.....still trying to decide what to do with it. :baby04:

9. sssarawolf

sssarawolf Well-Known Member

Well at least i got a good laugh. :p :p

10. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I got mine today, too.

So, how exactly do I calculate the blackberry canes that line my driveway and turn that into acreage? My one pear tree? Nope, wait, there's two pear trees. I have 11 pecans, but 6 are seedlings.

My total storage space for grains? I have six 55 gallon drums and another six galvanized 33 gal trash cans to store feed in, but it's not always full of whole grains. I think I have about a bushel of wheat. Should I list that?

It asks about nursery operations. I have a light bank with six 2-bulb shop lights where I was planning to grow a few heirloom tomatoes to sell. How many acres is that?

And aquaculture....Something is growing in the stock tank that floated out to the middle of the improptu storm pond, but I'm not sure what it is...do I have swim out there and see?

:shrug:

I think I'm going to call them tomorrow and make somebody walk this poor hick through the entire thing, one question at a time...nice and slow so I can understand what the government wants of poor little me.....

Meg

11. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Well you can't take the tag off the sofa either, the tag police will get you.
    (Even says so)

12. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

They've probably outsourced the information dept, your call will be directed overseas and they won't speak english very well :)

13. Tana Mc

Tana Mc Well-Known Member Supporter

A few years back, I got one and called and asked what would happen if I refused. She was really puzzled why I wouldn't fill it out but said that the fine was about $100. She also said that quite a few people were refusing to fill it out and they couldn't understand why we were so hesitant...... I told her to send me a bill. I never got one. I have since tossed each and every one I have ever gotten. Last year, I got a rude phone call demanding that I answer her questions. I told her I wasn't telling her anything and hung up. I got mine today and it will go in the trash, too.
    Tana Mc

14. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

ours go straight to the trash--none of Uncle Sam's business what I do on my farm. dee

15. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

Your entire post was funny, but this bit had me in stitches!

My Grandma used to work for the IRS and they actually would receive notes like this scribbled on the forms (you were writing for humor but those folks were serious - still awfully funny though). I think you should write that in as your answer!

16. pasotami

pasotami Hangin out at the barn!

Around here the University of TN is sending out surveys.... I filled out the first one as best I could but the entire survey did not pertain to what I raise - go figure that one.....
    I can not see how in the world they could police such a survey - their computer people can keep our taxes right never mind a survey.... and the first thing they need to state on the survey is EXACTLY what the results will be used for or I would never fill it out.... I will not even talk to the ones that call unless they can answer that first question other than their full name and position.
    This to me is to find out how they can insource what you are raising so they can cut you out... bring in what you need for less than you can raise it - then they have you by the parts of your body that hurt - your wallet! This is also a means to find out if they are taxing you properly.... if you can not show how your farm is a farm - then they can tax you as a HOBBY. ouch......
    And I would not ask them if I should swim to identify your floating fungus - tell them to send that ag man out with his wetsuit! He gets PAID for stuff like that......

17. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

I trashed mine last year. Haven't heard from them since.

18. iocane

iocane Active Member

I worked for the last census (the one that comes every ten years since the country was founded). There was a law that said people had to answer the questions. It simply wasn't enforced. The data is worthless anyway since the computers messed everything up. The computer system was suppossed to eliminate double counting of people. It did the reverse. The idea of a accurate census itself was very important since it decides how many seats in congress a state gets. All the other stuff that added into the census beyond what was required in the constitution is just ridiculous. If you mention any chickens on that paperwork don't be suprised if someone comes later for that chicken. That whole bird flu scare has goverment officials all interested in every last chicken. The whole bird flu thing sounds made up.

19. momfifer

momfifer New Member

Whew! I received one in yesterday's mail, too, and I had no idea what it was for.

Hi, I'm sort of new here--I've been reading for a while but this is my first post. We live in south central Wisconsin on a small farm raising and selling asparagus in the spring. We have been doing this for about 6 years without receiving any kind "survey" like this. My first thought was info for taxing purposes, too, but we pay our taxes for our small business. I guess I don't want to give out any more info than I have to, either. You are sure that it's not Due by January 29, 2007?

I want to thank everyone for all the information I've received from the homesteading list. I love to come here right after checking my email and getting my daily "fix." I'll try not to be a stranger. :)

Teresa

20. shepmom

shepmom Well-Known Member

We got a survey from somebody can't remember who. Crop questions, livestock, etc.
    Second time. We trashed it. Now they are phoning!!! Haven't taken the call.