agressive ewes....pregnat, in heat or ???

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by malickfarms, Sep 19, 2006.

1. malickfarms

malickfarms Well-Known Member

we have 2 katahdin sheep (ewes), they were a year old. we got them in early june of this year. we got them from our friends and they said there is a good chance they are pregnant. well they have grown a bit over the past few months and have been very nice to the goats (all females). one of the sheep has a small udder that formed about a month ago (half the size of a softball). today they have been chasing down the goats and ramming them. we stalled them for the night. this is the first sign of aggression we have ever seen from them :grump: . they have always been very skittish around us. the ram, now 8 months old, is penned up near the sheep and is making alot of noise (not usual). i kinda figure he thinks they are in heat. i didnt see them hanging out by the rams pen earlier in the day though. the sheeps back end (vulva) is almost purple. im sorry for the rambling post, but im just typing info as i think of it.

2. ShortSheep

ShortSheep Well-Known Member

The cooler weather we have been experiencing, and shorter days are bringing out the sass in them. My normally laid-back ewes are acting like wild deer the last few weeks, head-butting, mounting each other, running laps leaping into the air.

3. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

But the purple vulva...that would seem odd to me. Is it swollen as well?

4. malickfarms

malickfarms Well-Known Member

it is swollen. i tried feeling her sides, but she would not let me grab her. they are so skittish.

5. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

You know, it sounds like you have a ewe getting ready to lamb. Calculating out the number of days from June 1 through today is 112 days. That's 33 days to the 145 days average gestation mark. (Some go fewer days, most go more days.) I don't know what day they were bred, nor what day you brought them home, so I'm using signs of impending birth. Vulva is swelling and pinking up, ewe is starting to bag up, and ewe is demanding her "space". Sounds like lambs to me.

6. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Yes, I'd be reading up on lambing as well. Is this by any chance a dark skinned ewe? I'm still trying to wrap my head around purple...but certainly she'll get pinker and rosey colored. Watch for 'nesting', pawing the ground, pacing, and some talking prior to lambing as well.

7. jlo

jlo Active Member

If they're already pregnant then they shouldn't be going into heat--if I'm reading the OP right. Sounds like lambing time might be getting close? I know our whole flock starts carrying on when one lays down to lamb.

If they were in heat, I would think that the ram would be carrying on more than just vocalizing. Ours would be pacing the fenceline and pushing at the fencing and gates.

8. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

The ewe who is about to give birth smells different, and then there will be the blood and a new usurper to the thrown. Rams react to anything new, including new smells. Keep your young ram seperated for a couple weeks at least. When you do have them together, make sure they are in a large area.

9. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

Let us know what's going on. I'll wager two Ritz crackers that the ewe will lamb on ...Humm....October 7. Any takers?