Aging Beef in a Chest Freezer?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ken Scharabok, Jan 31, 2004.

1. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Would it be feasible to cut up a carcass into quarters and then to age it in a chest freezer set to the proper chilling temperature?

Ken S. in WC TN

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Yes, that is a decent means of aging meat. Typically holding the temperature at 32 to 35 degrees F and going from 7 to 10 days or even up to a couple of weeks. You will experience some minor drying on the surface but that is not problem. The dried area can be trimmed and used in the burger or you can leave it and soak the meat briefly prior to preparing it for cooking. I trim.

3. Can a chest freezer be set to chill only without having to keep the door open? If yes then there is no problem using a chest freezer to age your meat. I use to have a extra refrigerator that I would age my deer in for a few days. I would go ahead and cut the meat up and stack it on the racks inside. Quite a mess to clean up tho. As for the dehydration, turning the meat into jerky, simply rehydrate it with water. No need to trim and throw away.

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

To get the freezer to function at the desired temperature here is what I do. I make a simple extension cord with a female and a male plug. In the run of the cord I install a refrigeration thermostat to where the thermostat makes and breaks the hot wire. I use a capillary (bulb) type thermostat and I close the door on the capillary tube with the bulb end inside the freezer.
    Then I plug the freezer into the female plug on the made up extension cord containing the thermostat. The male end of the fabricated cord is then plugged into the wall connection completing the circuit This will control the freezer temperature, without modifiying the freezer itself, and will allow the freezer to be returned readily to normal service.