AGH - in labor?!?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by April Angnos, May 13, 2017.

1. April Angnos

April Angnos Active Member

My AGH is acting very off. On Wednesday she was still sleeping when I went out to feed the pigs but the she got up and acted normal. Wednesday night she was the only one that didn't get up to see me when I went to check on them. Thursday morning I couldn't hardly get her out of the igloo she decided to camp out in. She is extremely restless and is still in the igloo. She isn't even coming out to go to the bathroom. She sounds like she is snoring and then starts rustling around. There is no evidence she has drunken any water since yesterday. She might have nibbled on some bread that I threw in the igloo or she might just be laying on it. She is about 9 months old I think but the "breeder" has proven herself to be unreliable, so who really knows. The boar has been in the same pen since we got them in December. I am starting to worry that it might not be that she is in labor like I originally thought.

MoBookworm1957 likes this.
  2. Pig in a poke

Pig in a poke Well-Known Member

Update? It's too bad you can't rely on the person who sold the gilt to you for information. If the gilt has been with a boar since December, I would have expected a litter by now. If she is not normally that restless, it could indicate pending labor. Ours usually don't get restless but a couple hours in advance.
    So here's hoping all is well, and she gave you a litter of piglets this weekend.

3. April Angnos

I wish I could say we had piglets but when we came out Saturday she was almost dead. We called the vet and she said to give her penicillin. That brought her back enough but she still won't get up. She will drink plenty of fluids but not willingly eat food so we have been blending it up and she has been drinking that a little bit. She doesn't get up to potty and there has been no stools. We can't afford a vet to come out but even if we could the vet said she didn't think there was anything she could do. We are wondering if maybe she ate something poisonous or something is lodged in her intestine. It is so sad. We might put her down soon as we can't see her suffering so long. Any suggestions for treatment would be much appreciated.

4. Pig in a poke

Continue with the penicillin. We had a barrow go down like that. Gave him shots 2x per day for a couple days. He bounced back. So sorry you're having trouble. It's stressful.

5. April Angnos

That is good to hear! My brother said she got up on all 4 legs to adjust herself but laid down again. Hopeful sign?

6. Pig in a poke

Yes, I think that's a good sign. Our barrow took a couple days to object to the shots. That's when we knew he was coming back around, and then he began to show an interest in food again.

7. April Angnos

Thanks so much! That is very encouraging! She is only drinking now, but is doing so with gusto. We continue to blend up her food and she is drinking that. Please pray she gets up again! I am so hoping she recovers like yours did!

8. April Angnos

I forgot to mention on Saturday her temp was 104.??. On Sunday it dropped to 94.4. Last night it was 99.2. Hopefully that is another good sign?

9. Pig in a poke

Glad to hear she is drinking. 104 is high. But below 100 is low. I'm not sure what to tell you about that. In our case, it was a very gradual decrease in temperature, back to the normal range, 100-102.
    But it does sound like she's improving. It took our barrow several days after his temp came down to get back to a completely normal activity and appetite.

10. April Angnos

Tonight her temp was 100.2 or 101.2, I can't remember now. She still isn't up, but I am hopeful she will be tomorrow.

11. Pig in a poke

Well that is a normal temp. Maybe she'll be up today and looking for food. I hope she pulls through.

12. April Angnos

We are going to have to put Cheka down.:(It is so sad....she looked like she was going to pull thru but tonight she just looks horrible. She hasn't gotten up and she is starting to get sores. I can't see her suffering any longer.

13. Pig in a poke

I am so sorry. It sounded like she was getting better.
    But I agree, she should have gotten up by now if the penicillin was effective.
    Very sorry.

Wanda likes this.
  14. April Angnos

Thank you for your support. She is gone now, and we feel at peace that she is no longer suffering.

Pig in a poke and Wanda like this.
  15. Pig in a poke

I'm sorry she didn't make it. You did the right thing.

16. April Angnos

Thanks you. I have another sow, who looks to be pregnant, totally unsure. But maybe.... I will keep you posted!

Pig in a poke likes this.