Aggressive behavior

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by roadless, Feb 18, 2018.

1. roadless

roadless Well-Known Member Supporter

My pup, Lola , has not displayed that behavior with me since although she did try to protect me when a girlfriend was loud and flailing her arms telling me a story....Lola did a low menacing growl yet immediately chilled when I told her it was ok.
    Exactly the behavior I want for a pet/ guard dog.

nehimama likes this.
  2. farmrbrown

farmrbrown nobody

Best stay in Arizona then.
    On my property that will get you a one way ticket to no where.
    I may have you confused, but aren't you the guy who took in a mule that ended up kicking his former owner in the gut, right in front of you?
    You didn't shoot that mule, the man that got kicked had it coming and both you and the mule knew it.
    If you go around putting a bullet in family members without thoroughly investigating the reason, you should expect the same treatment.
    Like I said, best stay in Arizona than risk bringing that foolish behavior where it'll get you in trouble.

3. muleskinner2

muleskinner2 Well-Known Member

Sorry, I don't have any idea what you are talking about. None of my mules have ever kicked anybody.

Muleskinner2

4. farmrbrown

farmrbrown nobody

Sorry about that, I remembered the story and not the person telling it.
    https://www.homesteadingtoday.com/threads/its-always-the-mules-fault.556757/#post-7764774

None of my dogs have bitten anyone either, except for the rare occasion when the human was at fault and they've only
    growled or snapped at intruders, like they're supposed to do.
    While I have experienced a few dogs with bad manners, it wasn't necessary to kill them for it. As long as it's 1 on 1 and not a pack of dogs, I don't expect that will ever be an option for me unless I make it to a very old age. ;)

roadless likes this.
  5. aoconnor1

aoconnor1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I wouldbe interested to know how this turned out. Any update?

Sorry, I just saw the update on page 3!

roadless likes this.
  6. Grey Mare

Grey Mare Well-Known Member

Muleskinner1...you don't understand dog behavior then if you think how you do. Golden's are family dogs, they love most everyone, and have laid back personalities.

I have a ASD/GSD mix female dog I rescued from a not so good situation. Have had her since she was 8yrs old, she is now 13 yrs old. Does she growl? Yes she does, it is to protect me, her alpha, but while I tell her no bark or no growl, she is alert to me, my body language and she is protecting me, something that I want her to do. Her breed, one of them, is a one person dog, they are protective and guard what they perceive as their home and their property.

If anyone, came onto MY property and threatened to or did shoot my dog, I would slap every law at you that existed and ensured that your face and name got out there so the general population and public knew as well.

7. muleskinner2

You are right I don't speak dog, and never claimed I did. A few months ago a small boy in the town near me had half of his face bitten off, by a misunderstood rescue dog. I wasn't there, I did not see it happen. I don't know if the boy did something to the dog, and I don't care. The dog had growled and snapped at people before this happened. But somebody decided to give this dog another chance. So far this little boy has had five operations. He will carry the scars on his face for the rest of his life.

A guard dog should be an alarm system not a landmine.

I never said that I went around shooting peoples dogs. I said that if a dog came on my property, growled and snapped at me he would be shot. I have two Anatolian Shepherds, and I care as much for those dogs as anybody does for their dogs. But if one of my dogs growled and snapped at a child. In public, or in my front yard. That dog would be shot dead on the spot.

Now if posting vague threats to me on the internet makes you feel better, have at it. I have been threatened by experts, in countries most people have never herd of.

Muleskinner1

Skamp likes this.
  8. Skamp

Skamp Well-Known Member

I do speak dog, if you don’t you’ve missed out on years of evolution.

9. Grey Mare

Grey Mare Well-Known Member

And?! So has my husband....your point being? Has nothing to do with the conversation on hand about canines. I was saying what I would do if someone came onto MY property and shot MY dog.

I have done rescue for quite a while, Malamutes and Siberian Huskies. I had good and bad come through, each one was re-trained on all the basics, none being rehomed until I and our vet were sure they were good and better dogs. My contract hand a clause in it that stated any dog that the family felt they didn't want or no longer could care for I would gladly take back, no questions asked.

Was at a park here in VA one afternoon enjoying the evening while watching our son play baseball, had our Malamute Rocky and our red and white Siberian Husky Dakota with us. Two young girls came up to ask if they could pet our dogs, I said sure, put them in a sit stay, then told the girls to go ahead and where to pet, as many go right for the face. Next thing I know I have an angry set of grandparents yelling at me, that I have a "wolf dog" and how dare I bring it into the park, they even went so far as to tell me if I lived near them they would shoot my dogs on site! Went to the park administrator and asked that we be removed, he declined and said my dogs were polite, they were not "wolf dogs" and to merely stay away from me.

Ignorance, not bothering to understand or to ask, misconceptions and being afraid because my 2nd cousins, 3rd boy, who lives with his aunt from wherever told me through my brothers friend mom that someone got bit, stories that aren't told correctly or accurately, fear of the dog itself, etc. all come into play.

Once my Cattie Mae passes, I intend to get a German Shepherd as my husband is gone a lot and I am home alone. I also want a hiking buddy and a farm dog. If I am here alone and that dog, who will also be here for protection decides to growl and get in front of me because something on that person isn't what it should be, then I am going to listen. However, the dog won't be without training and commands...

10. muleskinner2

Man, this fun. You people get riled up so easy.

Muleskinner1