aggh tomatoes

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Rouen, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

I have 11 tomato plants growing out in the garden, all but 2 were fertilized with duck bedding, the ones that weren't are about a foot shorter than the ones that were, but thats not the problem.. for the past month and a half they've been flowering, great right.. still no fruit, and the flower buds just shrivle up and drop off :grump: the tallest plants out there have to be about 3 feet tall, it's not that they aren't happy any ideas as to whats going wrong??

my aunt has tomatoes down on the other end of the 1 acre property that were store bought and they are all fruiting and flowering and have been since late June.
    I gave her some of my seeds back in april and she hasn't had any luck with them even flowering... :grump: :help:

2. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

If it's too hot, tomatoes won't set fruit. I think day temps over 90 and night temps over 76 but I could be wrong on that. Keep taking care of your tomatoes and wait for a break in the weather.

3. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

My mother one time (only one time) fertilized her tomatoes with chicken manure. She had big, gorgeous plants that produced little or no fruit. imo, the fertilizer is just too hot/rich.
    mary

4. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

thanks for the input, seems our heat spell has broke now we're getting fall type weather.. and I have one green tip of thumb sized tomato :baby04: I hadn't noticed it yesterday, if the heat goes back up will watering daily or 2-3 times a week help?