Age of breeding for the 1st time

Discussion in 'Goats' started by livestockmom, Aug 25, 2005.

1. livestockmom

livestockmom Well-Known Member

At what age do you breed your pygmy does for the 1st time?

2. Ken in Maine

Ken in Maine Well-Known Member

We raise Boers, Angoras and Pygmys. We do not breed any does until they are 18 months old. We firmly believe that a doe does not reach maturity until that age and while you may get one extra breeding you may also cause that mom to have a stunted future.

Just what works for us. No sense being greedy... it's worth the wait!

3. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Mine are going to be bred when they are a year old. its a good idea to breed before two years of age. the longer you wait after 1 year, the harder it is to get them pregnant, imo. my friend tried to breed her fainter for the first time when she was 3, and she didnt get bred. Daisy, my doe, had trouble being fertilized also. she kept going into heat after the first heat, in janurary. she ended up getting bred in march. i belive it to be age. most people breed at one year, and some (usually meat animal, accidents, or human ignorance breedings) are bred when they are 8 monthes or younger, which is sometimes ok. breeding at 8 monthes can cause stunting in the mommy or tiny kids.

4. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We bred our Alpine at 9 months old. She had 2 doe kids just fine. She was a twin herself.

5. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

THe guy we got our Boers from said that they actually continue to grow, themselves, while pregnant and do not get stunted no matter what age you bred them. That is why our girls will be bred when they are 1 year old, although a lot of people have said that they can be bred when they are 80 pounds, we just want to wait a little. We actually have 2 yearling does that are about to have babies and are growing just fine, one of them is probly gonna be the new herd leader in a couple of years, she is already huge.

6. livestockmom

livestockmom Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for all of your replies... the does I am considering breeding are 13 months old, I am hesitating because they are two of my most petite pygmy's... In general, do pygmy's grow alot in that 2nd year that it really makes a big difference in size and maturity to wait? I wasn't even considering breeding them this year until we recieved our visiting Nubian bucks and these girls are carrying on at the fence at him. They are begging me to take them over to a Pygmy buck! It got me wondering if I should.

7. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

ive noticed that pygmies grow till they are 2 years or more. they will get bigger yet. maybe not too much taller but they will fill out more.