Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably asked a million times.
What interests or activities do you pursue for pleasure
outside of your main occupation (the definition of "hobby")?

Let's go one step further. What new hobby have you taken
up that keeps your interest?
Also what past hobbies interest you that would still like to do?

·
Country Girl
4,306 Posts
I have alot of hobbies - gardening and sewing being my favorite. :) I'm hoping since I retired this summer that I can do MORE of each! One new thing that I want to learn is spinning. I like to crochet and knit also so spinning my own yarn would be great - I'm a fan of alpaca yarn. :)

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
i like taking pictures...done it with 35mm film...but since going digital i can snap some pictures now...lol

·
Registered
879 Posts
Probably asked a million times.
What interests or activities do you pursue for pleasure
outside of your main occupation (the definition of "hobby")?

Let's go one step further. What new hobby have you taken
up that keeps your interest?
Also what past hobbies interest you that would still like to do?
A good idea to take hobbies again. Always new members and new hobbies.
Personally I cannot differentiate between my hobbies and my way of life. My passion is my sheep- working with the wool, shearing , sorting the qualities and spinning the fleece, which means that I get around to a lot of museums and arrangments to show my arte.
There are very few who still spin in Sweden though young people are thankfully picking it up again. When I moved here 5 years ago I bought a camera. The old style of life is dying so quickly and I realised I had time to catch some of it before it faded. People have been interested in my documentation and now I write on a blog about my adopted county. So my hobbies are sort of accidential- merely because I was born the daughter of a shepherd.

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
The hobby that has held my interest the longest is beekeeping. I guess it has passed over that slightly blurry line from being a hobby to approaching an obsession.

Sewing, spinning, weaving, fiddle playing, animal track identification(always looking for tracks), and travel. Current new hobby is learning website design.

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
Kinda' like Renee, I do not know where to draw the line between a hobby and lifestyle choices. Some might describe the farm operation here as a hobby, but I would not. The garden is not a hobby for me. It's a way to get fresh food, food for preservation, and stretch my budget a little further. If reading and travel are hobbies, perhaps those would be mine.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I have a few things I guess would be hobbies. I do light construction for a living (when nor banged up), but have always called myself a hobby carpenter. I do it because I like it, and only do things in a slightly more narrow avenue than most in the trade.

This is my little hobby cabin I built and live in, (most recent one)

I reload most of the ammo I shoot and enjoy that, and cast bullets now and then. I tinker with gun projects. This is a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt caliber I ruined. I flat topped the frame, hand polished the action inside, installed a cam cut ejector housing and crescent ejector rod, modified the ejector spring to give a longer stroke, beveled the front edge of the cylinder (often called a "black powder" bevel after the way old Colt Single Actions were in the black powder period), turned down the factory base pin and reshaped it, also giving more ejector rod stroke and looks vastly better, built one piece rosewood grips and modified the grip frame to work with one piece grips (about 10 hours of metal work), installed a Super Black Hawk hammer, giving a lower hammer spur, took all the sharp edges off the hammer and reshaped the face to look better when cocked, and had a front sight similar to the old Colt Flat Top Target single actions made for it (the gunsmith that did that didn't do what I asked, another one will be made one day. the factory Blackhawk front sights look hideous to me though!). The rear sight is replaced with a steel one, and lowered as much as possible in the frame, sighted in by filing the front to correct height. I also made a hammer pin out of a screw that looks nicer, and countersunk the head into the frame. Also installed on older Super Black Hawk grooved trigger, and removed all the stamping on the side of the barrel. Its been reblued once, but I've done more work since then and haven't bothered to get it blued again since.

I mess with leather stuff a bit, buckskin type stuff and a few holsters and knife sheaths. Sometimes I like a little beadwork on the buckskin stuff. Theres some showing on the end of the deerskin carbine scabbard. The gun is also modified a bit, not quite as much as the Ruger 45 though.

Like to take a few pics also.

·
newfieannie
9,631 Posts
I have many interests also. knitting, sewing, crafts and I'm never without several books opened up in most of the rooms here but I don't think i'd call them hobbies. cooking and baking I would say .it's so relaxing and not work at all. people love to eat and I love to feed them. cooking is a form of art to me. not a day goes by that I don't experiment with something new. I guess if I'm creative at all it shows itself in my baking and cooking. I like to cook with a SO also. not that I've done that a lot lately. ~Georgia.

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,437 Posts
My most recent passion/hobby is micro macrame'. I blend that with bits of junk jewelry to make my own creations. Then, my life's work/passion/hobby these past 7 or 8 years has been my flock of Miniature LaMancha dairy goats. One hobby for relaxation, and one to keep me running - LOL!

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
My most recent passion/hobby is micro macrame'. I blend that with bits of junk jewelry to make my own creations. Then, my life's work/passion/hobby these past 7 or 8 years has been my flock of Miniature LaMancha dairy goats. One hobby for relaxation, and one to keep me running - LOL!

Your macrame is lovely....and so are the goats :thumb:

(LOL...finally got home and put my glasses on so I could see it!)

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,437 Posts
Someone very special has a birthday coming up soon, and I hope she'll like this! Micro-macrame'd spiral sinnets of cream silk connecting hand-made (by me!) green glass bead links.

·
Country Girl
4,306 Posts
I agree with RW that many things we do every day because we enjoy it - gardening, caring for our livestock, canning, hunting, fishing etc. COULD be considered "hobbies" but in reality it is just our way of living. I do many things that I consider "every day life" but one of my 6th grade students summed it up one day describing me to a new student in our class..."Ms. Tittle lives JUST LIKE Little House on the Prairie!" LOL!!!

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"Activities for pleasure outside main occupation"=Hobby

In the past I have crazily led myself from what most call
'Hobby' into 'occupation'. I loved throwing a canoe into
waters and fish or explore some interesting local waterways.
Eventually that led to harvesting baitfish as a business....absolutely
got addicted to going off into the remote wild ponds often
traveling 2 hours in and back just me in nature. Some days I
couldn't believe the opportunity to do that and find new fish
stocks and supply some local outfitters.
Then custom fishing rods...got involved in fishing equipment
rod parts and what not led to a full blown business supplying
others with that stuff. Loved building specialty rods and the
threadwork involved decorating them along with fancy components.
Locally I sold over 300 rods by the time that business ended.
I Still enjoy tactical Muskie hunting rods and equipment to
go after the trophy sized ones.

Now, I consider raising birds my hobby. I better watch it, though.
It COULD become an. 'Occupation'. This past summer I sold
Around a hundred started chicks and ducklings. Now I got
pheasants and chukars be hopefully laying eggs to fill my
2 incubators....that also is a cool hobby....hatching chicks!

Maybe I got too many hobbies...or had. Raised westie (terriers)
for confirmation and the love of keeping them. I have stints
of photography also in hobby stages with mr. Nikon camera.
Then there is my hobby semi automatic homestead made
poultry plucker.....is foraging a hobby.....shrooming? And
Of course clearing trails....work and hobby. Gotta be cause I
don't get paid for that. Lol

·
Registered
726 Posts
"Activities for pleasure outside main occupation"=Hobby
I guess I'd have to add feeding birds and birdwatching in my yard.

Hiking, dog walking, people watching when in town, eating out once in a while, even if simple. Drives in the mountains. Movies (dvd's). Visiting. Youtubes.

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
Interesting...seeing what you all like!

Just thinking about it, and I'm not sure I have any hobbies (by your definition) anymore? I used to really like torturing leather into something. Just got a little burnt out with it for now. Horses were a great challenge for me as well, and I loved trying to figure out what made them tick. I tried to make a good hand at anything I did. Guns and shooting were a big thing, even with my limited budget.

I still enjoy all of it some (?), but my quest to be one of the best has ended. Now, I just enjoy my little piece of earth,. that's rented from the government. I really need to get my fanny in gear and make it into the picture I have for it. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts