Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to be ready for. bleeding from cuts. I sliced my finger open earlier and have had a hard time getting it to close. I'm going to super glue it but first I need it to not be bleeding. So what would you use?

·
Premium Member
9,545 Posts
We have a bunch of steri-strips in different sizes. They act as temporary stitches or in places that won't hold shut long enough to clot. Plus we have a suture kit should SHTF and we are stranded from a hospital or medical care.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Grow some Yarrow. It's an excellent styptic. Apply a leaf (or two) firmly to the cut until bleeding stops, and then use an adhesive strip to hold the wound together.

I would never, ever recommend sewing up a wound at home! Aside from the Ouch Factor, unless you know what you're doing, it could be a recipe for disaster. If a cut if so severe it needs stitching, then it should be attended to by an expert. How can you know whether you've sliced through a tendon, or a nerve or other vital part which could result in crippling unless professionally repaired?

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
Take a spoonful of cayenne pepper and a glass of water. That'll stop it.

·
Premium Member
9,545 Posts
I would never, ever recommend sewing up a wound at home! Aside from the Ouch Factor, unless you know what you're doing, it could be a recipe for disaster. If a cut if so severe it needs stitching, then it should be attended to by an expert. How can you know whether you've sliced through a tendon, or a nerve or other vital part which could result in crippling unless professionally repaired?
I would never recommend it either, but if you were isolated and in an emergency situation where no medical help would be possible for days, it beats bleeding to death or getting an infection that you might not recover from. :rolleyes:

·
spellcheck is my freind!
647 Posts
Get some wonder dust, it's a livestock wound powder with a blood coagulant in it. It stops the bleeding and seals up the wound instantly.

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I forgot all about cayenne! I have that. I did get my finger to stop bleeding long enough to glue it shut. I changed the bandage last night and all looks good. I'll check into the yarrow and wonder dust too though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts