After the pigs...

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Smelt, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Smelt

Smelt Active Member

Hi All,

We had another child this summer so we didn't plant a garden. What we did do however, is let our pigs run in an area that will be garden next year. They did a great job in wiping out the weeds and turning up the soil. Now, I'd like to move my pigs to a different area. We now have a 100 x 50 area that is devoid of any sort of cover. It's an acid, very clay heavy soil, little in the way of organic material. It looks the color of coffee with cream. I have access to sawdust, cow, chicken, horse and goat/sheep manure. What do you think I should do....plant rye? vetch? turn it under in the Spring? just keep throwing manure on the dirt?, try to smother any weeds that pop up. We're organic (and not too knowledgable about gardening!).

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Smelt

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

You can try Buckwheat or winter Rye or how about rapeseed. Its what they process canola from .all grow rapidly and the pigs will eat it down again too.

3. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

I would just cover it with some cheap blue tarps after you add your organic materials. Will keep the weeds and grass out, and you can add what you what, when you want.