after the kids are born do they need any manditory vaccinations?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by kickingbird, Jan 28, 2005.

1. kickingbird

kickingbird Active Member

i'm not sure if i need to give the kids any vaccination after they are born. can someone give me some advice please?
    and maybe a quick reason.
    thanks in advance for your help.
    jarred

2. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

If you are in a selenium deficient area, a shot of Bo-Se at birth. Otherwise, they will need CD/T at 3 weeks of age.

3. kickingbird

how do i know if i'm in a selenuim deficient area?
    i'm in beaumont texas 60 miles east of houston.
    is there a chart or map?

4. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

Most of the US is deficient. The easiest thing is to ask your vet. You will need to get the Bo-Se from your vet if you need it anyway.

5. kickingbird

6. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Hi Kicking Bird, I am about 60 miles West of Beaumont near Cleveland! Yep we are copper and selenium defficient here in East Texas, you more so living closer to the gulf. Selenium is a vet perscription (Bo-se and Mu-se to name a few) you can improve both with the use of a good mineral.

BarVac CD&T can be purchased at most large feed stores, Tractor Supply or from jefferspet.com give that at 3 weeks, again 21 days later. This is for 2 clostridial diseases caused by stress, especially overgraining stress, and of course Tetanus which is a real concern for us here. I also give this shot to the kids dam about 3 weeks before she kids to stimulate the does immunity and this makes for more immunity going to the kids via the colostrum. If you have had any pnemonia problems caused by our high humidity and mild wet winters, than there are pnemonia vaccines you can give.

What kind of goats do you have? Vicki

7. kickingbird

What kind of goats do you have? Vicki[/QUOTE]

i have pygmy goats,four does one weather and a buck.
    the reason i was so worried before in my other post about my pygmy doe kidding it sure sounds like the breed has problems kidding.
    its a small world isnt it?

8. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Just don't let them get too fat. Meat goats like pygmy's are only need grain when growing, when heavy bred and when nursing. The fatter you let the does get the less exercise they get, the less tone they have and the bigger the kids get, setting yourself up for huge kids that simply can't get out! Then you add our selenium defficiency ontop of that with one huge kid being born rather than 2 or 3 smaller ones. Good luck, ask lots of questions, and the forum has tons of old info in it. Vicki

9. kickingbird

what foods do you recomend?
    and is that after they are bred?

10. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

Just wanted to add my two cents here since your question was do kids need "mandatory" vaccines. Actually there are a fair number of goat keepers who do not vaccinate at all and have never encountered a single incidence of enterotoxemia or tetanus. I am not advocating this, only pointing it out. Certainly there are some parts of the country and some situations when vaccinating is very necessary.

11. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

My goats only shot was for tetanus when a neighbor dehorned them. Vicki knows best but we have never felt the need yet. Maybe we are just lucky.

12. boren

boren Well-Known Member